The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
NFHS just tweeted the ice hockey rules change press release. That must mean basketball is coming soon. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!
Hours?? Days?? Weeks??

Peace
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

http://bit.ly/2q7Goy6

It is time! Rejoice!
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Finally you get your silly "two handed" reporting. Hope all is happy now (such a non-issue IMO).

Peace
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

JRut, let me have my moment.

To summarize, five changes:

1) Official warnings for coach misconduct
2) Official warnings for coaching box violations
3) 28-foot coaching box
4) Uniform stuff
5) Two-hand reporting
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 2017-18 Rules Changes

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/offici...in-basketball/

3) 28-foot coaching box
4) Uniform stuff
5) Two-hand reporting
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/offici...in-basketball/

3) 28-foot coaching box
4) Uniform stuff
5) Two-hand reporting
Still only 1 hand for the number of the player. The other hand is for the number of free throws only. So, not quite the NBA yet...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
Still only 1 hand for the number of the player. The other hand is for the number of free throws only. So, not quite the NBA yet...

Huh?
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh?
In the NBA, officials give the number with both hands. So, number 23 would be given as a 2 with one hand and 3 with the other. In NFHS, we give the 2, followed by 3, with the same hand.

Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I get that the sentence was not worded great in the release, but we will be reporting players with 2 hands.

Note the word "shall" - it is not an option to report with one hand.
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Finally you get your silly "two handed" reporting. Hope all is happy now (such a non-issue IMO).

Peace

And it's mandatory, too, if you follow NFHS mechanics.
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And it's mandatory, too, if you follow NFHS mechanics.
Mandatory? I doubt that will be the stance. Even if it is, states will do whatever they want at the end. They do that already with minor issues that we never discuss here.

Peace
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:25pm
This IS My Social Life

NFHS New Rules Press Release

From the NFHS website a few miutes ago:

Official Warning for Misconduct Given to Coaches in Basketball
By NFHS on May 11, 2017

Effective with the 2017-18 high school basketball season, play will be stopped and an official warning will be given to the head coach – and recorded in the scorebook – for misconduct by the coach or other bench personnel unless the offense is judged to be major, in which case a technical foul shall be assessed.

This new rule was one of the five changes recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Basketball Rules Committee at its April 10-12 meeting in Indianapolis. All changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

In addition to misconduct violations related to Rule 10-5, the head coach will be officially warned for the first violation of Rule 10-6-1 regarding the coaching box.

Rules 4-48-1 and 4-48-2 will both have a note stating that a warning is not required prior to calling a technical foul.

“Stopping play and making sure that the bench and the coach know that an official warning has been given sends a clear message to everyone in the gym and impacts the behavior of the coach, and in some cases the behavior of the opposing coach,” said Theresia Wynns, NFHS director of sports and officials and liaison to the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee. “This change in behavior creates a better atmosphere and, many times, avoids the need to administer a technical foul.”

In other changes, the rules committee approved enlarging the coaching box from 14 feet to 28 feet. The coaching box now shall be bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line toward the division line. A line drawn from the sideline toward the team bench becomes the end of the coaching box toward the end line. State associations may alter the length and placement of the 28-foot coaching box.

“The committee thought the restriction of the (14-foot) coaching box limited the level of communication between the coach and players,” Wynns said. “Allowing a coach freedom to move within the new box between the 28-foot mark and the end line provides a coach more access to his or her players.”

Changes in Rules 3-4-1d and 3-4-4 regarding uniforms were approved by the committee, including restrictions on identifying names that can be placed in the allowable area of the jersey. Identifying names on uniforms must adhere to the following: school name, school nickname, school logo, player’s name and/or abbreviation of the official school name. The panel in the shoulder area on the back of the jersey may be used for placing an identifying name as well.

The committee also approved a change in the way officials signal a foul against a player. After verbally informing the offender, the official shall use fingers on two hands to indicate to the scorer the number of the offender and the number of free throws.

“This change was made to minimize reporting errors that occur between the officials and the scorekeepers,” Wynns said. “Two-handed reporting is easier for the scorekeepers to see and comprehend, and it is less confusing.”
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the NBA, officials give the number with both hands. So, number 23 would be given as a 2 with one hand and 3 with the other. In NFHS, we give the 2, followed by 3, with the same hand.

I'm not sure how you interpreted anything other than the fact that two-hand reporting is now the standard in FED, even if the sentence was poorly worded.

And I'm with Rich, the wording of the release implies that one hand will no longer be optional under strict FED mechanics.
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Define "shall" in some other way.
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I get that the sentence was not worded great in the release, but we will be reporting players with 2 hands.

Note the word "shall" - it is not an option to report with one hand.
Quote:
After verbally informing the offender, the official shall use fingers on two hands to indicate to the scorer the number of the offender and the number of free throws.
Hmm, I see what you mean. It could be interpreted both ways, but I think you are right.

So, are we giving the numbers with the table's perspective in mind? For example, the number 23 would be given '2' on the right hand and '3' on the left?