The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Proposal to Start College BB Schedule on a Tuesday

I read the following article. It talks, among other things, about changing the start date of the NCAAM season from the second Friday in November to the Tuesday before the second Friday in November. Idea is to get out from under the shadow of football. The NCAA and the coaches love the idea. But nowhere in the article does it appear that anyone has considered that the chosen date will more often than not coincide with Election Day every two years.

Yeah. If the shadow of football is inopportune, imagine the shadow of Presidential or Midterm elections.

Geniuses.

https://apple.news/Ac0OFBHLtQUazcNKZ1DeusQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I read the following article. It talks, among other things, about changing the start date of the NCAAM season from the second Friday in November to the Tuesday before the second Friday in November. Idea is to get out from under the shadow of football. The NCAA and the coaches love the idea. But nowhere in the article does it appear that anyone has considered that the chosen date will more often than not coincide with Election Day every two years.

Yeah. If the shadow of football is inopportune, imagine the shadow of Presidential or Midterm elections.

Geniuses.

https://apple.news/Ac0OFBHLtQUazcNKZ1DeusQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I havnt researched it,studied it or heard anything about it. Personally, im not sure anybody cares about basketball in November. Football or Election Day... I think starting the season a week later isnt to get viewers in November but to extend the season into middle/end of march when people pay more attention. maybe. Thoughts off top of my head.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

While, under the proposed change, the season may sometimes start on the same date as election day, there is no reason anyone would necessarily schedule a game on election day. They certainly could, or, they could just wait to play until Wednesday when the conflict occurs.

And the occurrence of the overlap would not actually be every other year. Sometimes, the election day would be the week before the day the season would start. Election day can be as early as Nov. 2nd or as late as Nov. 8th while the season (under the proposal) would start whatever Tuesday fell between Nov. 5th and 11th.
Old Sat May 06, 2017, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

You will be old if its an issue

According to the Constitution, presidential elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Off-year elections follow this.

The next even numbered year on which the first Tuesday after the first Monday is the second Tuesday of the month is 2022 an off-year election. After that, 2044,a presidential year.
I won't care. I will be working shuffleboard in the Assisted Living League.

Last edited by amusedofficial; Sat May 06, 2017 at 05:29am.