The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Thanx to all who responded. Except for Maineac . Found a June 2016 Referee magazine article on what they were trying to do in MS, LA, and PA. Was more a historical question than anything. I knew it had something to do with independent contractor status issues or something like that.
What is the title of the article and can you provide a link? I have been looking all over and cannot find anything about the current status and it seems early 2016 was when the latest information was given.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
(Note: Game fees for 2016-17: Varsity fee: $94.63; Subvarsity fee: $61.39)
Apologies for going off-topic, but this thread seems already settled and/or dying, so ... Billy, why do you always post those game fees as if that's what you guys actually get? Always makes it seem a lot more impressive than it actually is (even though it still ends up being very high on the national scale regardless).

Isn't there a fairly significant percentage that comes right off the top in the form of a kickback to your assignor, or is it on the officials to send that money along themselves after they're paid the full fee by the schools?
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

The local boards charge a certain % as an "assigning fee". On my board, it is 7% of the total fees for commissioner assigned games. From that 7%, there a some that goes to the commissioner and the rest goes to the board coffers. I believe my commissioner gets 3% and the board 4%.

Last edited by RefCT; Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 09:17pm.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 10:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Death And Taxes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
... game fees as if that's what you guys actually get ... officials to send that money along themselves after they're paid the full fee by the schools
The schools actually send me a check (or Arbiter transfers funds into my checking account) for $94.63.

At the end of the season I pay an assignment fee of 7% that goes into our local board's general fund, not directly to our assignment commissioner, who receives an annual salary ($32,550.00, seventy schools, 350 members) from our board regardless of how many games he assigns. I also have to pay annual local board dues of $125.00, and of course, Uncle Sam eventually gets income taxes (after deducting mileage, dues, fees, insurance, uniforms, shoes, equipment, laundry, etc.), and social security contributions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 10:41pm.