The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2001, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi Everyone! It's been some time since I've posted. Busy summer! I just wanted to ask you for your opinion(s) about something. The state in which I reside organizes its basketball officials by groups called "Chapters". I belong to a relatively small chapter of only women officials. We have about 35 members. There is another larger chapter in my metropolitan area that has about 100 officials (only two of which are women). This larger chapter has a solid reputation for providing "quality" officials. Unfortunately, while there are several very good women officials in my chapter, our group in general has developed a poor reputation due to a lack of professionalism among some of our members. The dues to belong to the larger chapter are twice the amount as those with my present women's chapter. Anyway, if you were me, with my whopping two years of experience, would you remain with my present, smaller, women's chapter?....Or look to transferring to this larger chapter? Also, the larger chapter services many of the smaller colleges (D-3) in the area. I feel a sense of loyalty to these women who have really helped me thus far however, I wonder what is best for me with regards to my development as an official. (BTW - I attended a camp this past summer conducted by this larger chapter....EXCELLENT experience!) What do you think? Sorry for such a long post.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2001, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

1st, I would not call a chapter of 35 women small, those a fantasic numbers.

2nd, and this is tough, but you need to look out for yourself, no one else is. If money is not an object, join both. If it is, I think you need to go with the larger group. Not becuse they have better assignments or leagues, I base it strickly on the reputation factor. As officials the only thing we have is our reps, if there are morons in your chapter tarnishing that, you need to leave. Fair or not you will all get lumped into one group.

Plus, if the camp was that good I think you already have your answer.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2001, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by doghead
Hi Everyone! It's been some time since I've posted. Busy summer! I just wanted to ask you for your opinion(s) about something. The state in which I reside organizes its basketball officials by groups called "Chapters". I belong to a relatively small chapter of only women officials. We have about 35 members. There is another larger chapter in my metropolitan area that has about 100 officials (only two of which are women). This larger chapter has a solid reputation for providing "quality" officials. Unfortunately, while there are several very good women officials in my chapter, our group in general has developed a poor reputation due to a lack of professionalism among some of our members. The dues to belong to the larger chapter are twice the amount as those with my present women's chapter. Anyway, if you were me, with my whopping two years of experience, would you remain with my present, smaller, women's chapter?....Or look to transferring to this larger chapter? Also, the larger chapter services many of the smaller colleges (D-3) in the area. I feel a sense of loyalty to these women who have really helped me thus far however, I wonder what is best for me with regards to my development as an official. (BTW - I attended a camp this past summer conducted by this larger chapter....EXCELLENT experience!) What do you think? Sorry for such a long post.
I agree with Brian. If you want to move up (sounds like
you do) then either become a dual member or join the
larger, better connected, better run chapter. By becoming
a dual member you can maybe bring back some of what you
learned to the smaller group, making it that much better.