The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 10:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris

Famous philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche (say that fast 3 times)is credited with that statement originally.
I always thought it was J Lo.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Famous philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche (say that fast 3 times)is credited with that statement originally.
I always thought it was J Lo.
The two are commonly credited with each other's statements. I can see why you may be confused.

BTW, Mark, please take your medications.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
"Cole's Quotables" gives credit to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832). The attributed quote is: "What does not kill me makes me stronger."

The Nietzsche (1844 - 1900) version is from "Thus Spake Zarathusra" and is attributed as "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Seems Goethe beat him to it. And it is NOT from a chick flick after all!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
"Cole's Quotables" gives credit to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832). The attributed quote is: "What does not kill me makes me stronger."

The Nietzsche (1844 - 1900) version is from "Thus Spake Zarathusra" and is attributed as "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Thanks, Chuck. I've always suspected Nietzsche of being a plagiarizing punk. He probably cheated on his SATs as well.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

What did I do last night?

I work an adult city mens league. Yeah, I know, but I do it 'cause I need experience (dealing with children). We have 4 games with 20 minute halves, running clock except the last two minutes.

Our last game had two of the teams that whine the most, so we were extra prepared. I was lead and had two fella's on the floor with a held ball near the baseline. I blow the whistle and approach, saying "held ball". Clown #1 throws his elbow at Clown #2, so I repeat the whistle blowing thing, but this causes Clown #2 to shove C1 real hard. All while the two of them are on the floor.

There's a general ruckus with one really bright player pushing and shoving. Luckily no punches we saw.

The funny thing was that there was about 20 second left until half time when this started and after we straightened out the mess, a player from both sides complained to me that they wanted to call a time-out before the clock ran out for half time.

Absolute best part is later in the game losing team says to guy guarding dribbler "he can't go to his left". Dribbler says "yeah but your mama does". I paused while that rattled around in my brain (did he really just say that?), then I blew the whistle and he was through.

I do it for experience, didn't say it was good experience.

Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, Chuck. I've always suspected Nietzsche of being a plagiarizing punk. He probably cheated on his SATs as well.
uh-oh...thread spillage from the baseball side?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dan, I didn't realize that you lurked over on the baseball forum. You ump, too?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Well, Barry, think about it. For the die-hard nihilist, WTH? You know?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Dan, I didn't realize that you lurked over on the baseball forum. You ump, too?
I used to get "volunteered" to ump when my kids were involved with LL. Small & big diamond, almost all my "assignments" were of the "can you stick around after the game to ump on field 3, we'll give your kid a coupla hot dogs and a coke" variety. My rules knowledge was/is kinda sketchy but I had great presence! Considered doing it for real but I haven't...yet.

Besides that I just love a good bar brawl and those baseball guys really don't care how petty they get as long as they get their shots in!