The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

No-call on final UConn women's drive?

Might be missing it some place else on the board here, but just getting to a keyboard now so still wondering ... anyone offer any rationale on the no-call on the final UConn drive in OT where both players go down in a significant collision and the call is simply OB, going the other way?

Without seeing it a second time, I initially thought it might be a good time for a PC. But if it's not that, how is it not at least a block? The announcers crowed about what a great no-call it was (without offering any reason why, of course) -- another reason to raise questions.

(If I could embed the clip, I would ... )
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Might be missing it some place else on the board here, but just getting to a keyboard now so still wondering ... anyone offer any rationale on the no-call on the final UConn drive in OT where both players go down in a significant collision and the call is simply OB, going the other way?

Without seeing it a second time, I initially thought it might be a good time for a PC. But if it's not that, how is it not at least a block? The announcers crowed about what a great no-call it was (without offering any reason why, of course) -- another reason to raise questions.

The old "both players went down so it's gotta be a foul."

I prefer the "if anyone goes down, know how they got there."
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

It wasn't a significant collision. The defender was there in time (2 fee down, in the path, facing) and remained legal. Then defender faded away a little. The shooter did NOT knock her down. The shooter, in trying to adjust to avoid contact, slipping to the side of the defender, was off balance and fell. There was some contact across the legs but it wasn't that much and wasn't the cause of either player going down.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 04, 2017 at 06:12pm.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It wasn't a significant collision. The defender was there in time (2 fee down, in the path, facing) and remained legal. The then defender faded away a little. The shooter did NOT knock her down. The shooter, in trying to adjust to avoid contact, slipping to the side of the defender, was off balance and fell. There was some contact across the legs but it wasn't that much and wasn't the cause of either player going down.
Nailed it. There was a foot of space between their torsos as they went to the floor. A1 was stumbling before she got to the defender and the defender started to bail. Maybe they hit leg-to-leg slightly, also arm-to-arm, but I'd rule it incidental. There really wasn't anything that could be described as a collision.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Well that makes perfect sense, Cam and PA Coach. Like I said, wasn't in a good position to see it well in a noisy room the first time and never got another look.