The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanic for inbound violation - 3ft rule

In the South Carolina vs Duke NCAA game, a SC player started to run the endline during a spot throw-in.
The official called the violation, followed by the traveling signal.

What is the proper NFHS mechanic for this violation?
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

There is none. Isn't in the NCAA, either. If what you say is true, it is regrettable that the official used this signal, in part because it perpetuates the myth that the traveling rule is in effect during throw-ins. There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all, when in reality he/she gets the 3ft box to stay on or over.

If it were me, I sell it by blowing my whistle, pointing vigorously to the spot a couple of times, and then pointing the other direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
In the South Carolina vs Duke NCAA game, a SC player started to run the endline during a spot throw-in.
The official called the violation, followed by the traveling signal.

What is the proper NFHS mechanic for this violation?
The NFHS Rules Book has pictures of the signals in the back. This one is picture #7, but the movement isn't clear in the diagram. The older books have a better description of it.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Right, and keep in mind that most of the time, for this and other violations that do not have a mechanic, the official is verbally explaining quite loudly... at least that is what I do. Not that my way is the best/correct way but at least everyone involved clearly understands what happened.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 06:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Move ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all ...
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Don't move”, said to an inbounding player, by an official, before a designated spot throw-in, is another statement that should probably go unsaid. According to the rules, that player can move laterally within a three foot wide area, can jump up, and can move as far back as time, and space, will allow. Better statement: “Designated spot”, while pointing to the spot.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

There is no signal. I would just go up with an open fist and yell "violation...spot throw in" and point.

It definitely is not a travel. It doesn't help our cause when NCAA tournament officials use the travel signal for this violation, which we saw on Sunday.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Don't move”, said to an inbounding player, by an official, before a designated spot throw-in, is another statement that should probably go unsaid. According to the rules, that player can move laterally within a three foot wide area, can jump up, and can move as far back as time, and space, will allow. Better statement: “Designated spot”, while pointing to the spot.
[/IMG]
It is not out job to tell them what the rule is. And players understand the basic difference between "Don't move" and "I can run?" If that is too hard for them to understand, then so be it. Because that is the only distinction that matters to them. If they think it means they cannot move, then I guess they cannot pass the ball, because that takes movement to do so.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 05:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Travel ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... players understand the basic difference between "Don't move" and "I can run?"
Some have opined that it's not just players that may not fully understand the rule.

Quote:
There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all ...
The rare official (many of us have observed this at least once, especially on the subvarsity level) using the travel signal for this violation doesn't help matters.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is not out job to tell them what the rule is. And players understand the basic difference between "Don't move" and "I can run?" If that is too hard for them to understand, then so be it. Because that is the only distinction that matters to them. If they think it means they cannot move, then I guess they cannot pass the ball, because that takes movement to do so.

Peace
I agree. I typically say, "You're stuck," when they don't have running endline privileges. I have had zero issues ever.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I agree. I typically say, "You're stuck," when they don't have running endline privileges. I have had zero issues ever.
Not a great choice of words. The player could think that you won't let him move at all. I suggest that you use, "Hold your spot" or "Spot throw-in."
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is none. Isn't in the NCAA, either. If what you say is true, it is regrettable that the official used this signal, in part because it perpetuates the myth that the traveling rule is in effect during throw-ins. There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all, when in reality he/she gets the 3ft box to stay on or over.

If it were me, I sell it by blowing my whistle, pointing vigorously to the spot a couple of times, and then pointing the other direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not the first time its been done in the NCAA
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 08:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not a great choice of words. The player could think that you won't let him move at all. I suggest that you use, "Hold your spot" or "Spot throw-in."
I always say "This is your spot." It's probably not perfect, but it works.