The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

hello. can someone explain why that was not an inbounding violation against uva near the end of the uva-gonzaga game that just ended? with 9 seconds left, uva down 1, watch uva bring the ball in. as always, thanks.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by number 26
hello. can someone explain why that was not an inbounding violation against uva near the end of the uva-gonzaga game that just ended? with 9 seconds left, uva down 1, watch uva bring the ball in. as always, thanks.
If you are having trouble explaining, then so am I.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

No one has this play on their website so I guess we have to wait until sportscenter.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

If you look at the replay the ball was thrown to the UVA player by either the ball boy or a photographer who was sitting right below the basket.
The UVA player then threw it to his other partner who was out of bounds and the legal throwin was then made.
It might have been a good idea for the referee to stop play to take care of the confusion, but then again if he had done so, this would have allowed Gonzaga to set up in their defense.
So, that is what I saw!
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
I have not seen the replay, but i had the same question when I saw it live. It appeared that the UVA player (A1) inbounded the ball to his team mate (A2) who then stepped out of bounds to re-inbound the ball to A1. I'm glad to here this is not what really happened.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 06:18pm
Administrator

I saw the play too. For anybody who didn't see it Gonzaga (Team B) had just scored and Virginia (Team A) was going to inbounds the ball.

A1 took the ball as it came through the basket and stepped completely out-of-bounds with both feet on the end line. A1 then stepped inbounds with one foot and passed the ball to A2 who was standing with one foot inbounds and one foot out-of-bounds along the same end line. A2 then stepped completely out-of-bounds with both feet and passed the ball inbounds to A1 and A1 then started to dribble the ball up the court.

I watched this play at least two times in replay and I still cannot figure out why A1 was not called for a throw-in violation when he stepped inbound with the ball after being completely out-of-bounds with the ball.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mark I have to disagree as I stated in my post.
The ball was thrown to the UVA person by someone not involved in the game.
Since the official was looking directly at the UVA players, I am sure that if what you say you saw had happened, he would have called the violation.
Enjoy tonights eight games, I will.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 06:41pm
Administrator

You may be correct. Trying to officiate a game on the boob tube is not a good idea because you cannot really see everything that the game officials see. From the camera angle that was broadcast it appeared that A1 had the ball completely out-of-bounds. But you have to remember, like all good offcials, I am blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

bsilliman excellent assessment. i had to watch the super slo mo twice to notice the initial inbound was not from a teammate, but from a cameraman. thanks all for the clarification.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 11:05pm
Administrator

bstillman:

I saw the replay for the third time at 07:35pmEST and looked for the cameraman underneath the basket and sure enough you saw something that I did not see. This is an excellent example of why we cannot officiate a game that we are watching on television. You had to either see it in slow motion or now what to look for because in real time on the small screen it is almost impossible to see.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Well according to most coaches I am blind in both eyes, so I must have really heard the whole thing!
Enjoy the games!