The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanic for inbound violation - 3ft rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102440-mechanic-inbound-violation-3ft-rule.html)

MelbRef Mon Mar 20, 2017 09:42pm

Mechanic for inbound violation - 3ft rule

In the South Carolina vs Duke NCAA game, a SC player started to run the endline during a spot throw-in.
The official called the violation, followed by the traveling signal.

What is the proper NFHS mechanic for this violation?

crosscountry55 Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09pm

There is none. Isn't in the NCAA, either. If what you say is true, it is regrettable that the official used this signal, in part because it perpetuates the myth that the traveling rule is in effect during throw-ins. There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all, when in reality he/she gets the 3ft box to stay on or over.

If it were me, I sell it by blowing my whistle, pointing vigorously to the spot a couple of times, and then pointing the other direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 1003037)
In the South Carolina vs Duke NCAA game, a SC player started to run the endline during a spot throw-in.
The official called the violation, followed by the traveling signal.

What is the proper NFHS mechanic for this violation?

The NFHS Rules Book has pictures of the signals in the back. This one is picture #7, but the movement isn't clear in the diagram. The older books have a better description of it.

bucky Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55pm

Right, and keep in mind that most of the time, for this and other violations that do not have a mechanic, the official is verbally explaining quite loudly... at least that is what I do. Not that my way is the best/correct way but at least everyone involved clearly understands what happened.

BillyMac Tue Mar 21, 2017 06:27am

Don't Move ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1003039)
There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all ...

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Don't move”, said to an inbounding player, by an official, before a designated spot throw-in, is another statement that should probably go unsaid. According to the rules, that player can move laterally within a three foot wide area, can jump up, and can move as far back as time, and space, will allow. Better statement: “Designated spot”, while pointing to the spot.

http://relationshiparts.com/wp-conte...-met-800wi.jpg

ILRef80 Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33am

There is no signal. I would just go up with an open fist and yell "violation...spot throw in" and point.

It definitely is not a travel. It doesn't help our cause when NCAA tournament officials use the travel signal for this violation, which we saw on Sunday.:mad:

JRutledge Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1003050)
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Don't move”, said to an inbounding player, by an official, before a designated spot throw-in, is another statement that should probably go unsaid. According to the rules, that player can move laterally within a three foot wide area, can jump up, and can move as far back as time, and space, will allow. Better statement: “Designated spot”, while pointing to the spot.
[/IMG]

It is not out job to tell them what the rule is. And players understand the basic difference between "Don't move" and "I can run?" If that is too hard for them to understand, then so be it. Because that is the only distinction that matters to them. If they think it means they cannot move, then I guess they cannot pass the ball, because that takes movement to do so. :p

Peace

BillyMac Tue Mar 21, 2017 05:33pm

Travel ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1003066)
... players understand the basic difference between "Don't move" and "I can run?"

Some have opined that it's not just players that may not fully understand the rule.

Quote:

There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all ...

The rare official (many of us have observed this at least once, especially on the subvarsity level) using the travel signal for this violation doesn't help matters.

frezer11 Tue Mar 21, 2017 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1003066)
It is not out job to tell them what the rule is. And players understand the basic difference between "Don't move" and "I can run?" If that is too hard for them to understand, then so be it. Because that is the only distinction that matters to them. If they think it means they cannot move, then I guess they cannot pass the ball, because that takes movement to do so. :p

Peace

I agree. I typically say, "You're stuck," when they don't have running endline privileges. I have had zero issues ever.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 21, 2017 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1003096)
I agree. I typically say, "You're stuck," when they don't have running endline privileges. I have had zero issues ever.

Not a great choice of words. The player could think that you won't let him move at all. I suggest that you use, "Hold your spot" or "Spot throw-in."

SNIPERBBB Tue Mar 21, 2017 07:56pm

Quote:

There is none. Isn't in the NCAA, either. If what you say is true, it is regrettable that the official used this signal, in part because it perpetuates the myth that the traveling rule is in effect during throw-ins. There are many coaches who believe a thrower cannot move at all, when in reality he/she gets the 3ft box to stay on or over.

If it were me, I sell it by blowing my whistle, pointing vigorously to the spot a couple of times, and then pointing the other direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the first time its been done in the NCAA

Adam Tue Mar 21, 2017 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1003100)
Not a great choice of words. The player could think that you won't let him move at all. I suggest that you use, "Hold your spot" or "Spot throw-in."

I always say "This is your spot." It's probably not perfect, but it works.