The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 02:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Thank you for being a fan of college basketball. Good luck next season.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I always take TV basketball analysts comments, both in-game and pre/post-game, with a grain of salt. Having said that, Mike Greenberg (Mike & Mike in the Morning - ESPN) made it a point to say this year's NCAA Tournament officiating has been "especially bad".

Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I always take TV basketball analysts comments, both in-game and pre/post-game, with a grain of salt. Having said that, Mike Greenberg (Mike & Mike in the Morning - ESPN) made it a point to say this year's NCAA Tournament officiating has been "especially bad".

That's too bad, I like Greeney! He's just butthurt that Northwestern is out. They missed the call. We all saw it, we get it, move on. That T cost his team a TON of momentum, and arguably the game. Hopefully Julia Louis-Dreyfus and that crying 10 year old kid know that Collins cost them that one.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I don't consider the announcers/analysts comments at all. They are both clueless and trying to generate ratings.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't consider the announcers/analysts comments at all. They are both clueless and trying to generate ratings.
Same.

Yet, it is still a comment directed towards impressions of the officiating.

I'd be interested in thoughts from this group. Personally, this year's officiating seems to be as good as always. The human factor is at play, so there are mistakes made by officials, player and coaches, but nothing I've seen so far makes me think there is a disproportionate amount in comparison to previous tournaments.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same.

I'd be interested in thoughts from this group. Personally, this year's officiating seems to be as good as always. The human factor is at play, so there are mistakes made by officials, player and coaches, but nothing I've seen so far makes me think there is a disproportionate amount in comparison to previous tournaments.
I've seen what I believe to be a somewhat greater number of misses. It hasn't been dramatically more but I've felt, in games without a rooting interest, that some stuff was missed that just shouldn't have been missed....rules administered, obvious calls, etc. Perhaps it isn't the number of misses but the type and timing of the misses.

Some examples: The collision at the end of the UNC/Ark game...that had to be something. I thought it was a clear charge but it certainly wasn't a no-call. I saw a video review of an OOB play and they got it wrong even on review...the player's fingers moved back as the ball went by yet they went with no tip???? Throwin spots completely wrong after a throwin violation that didn't go onto the court. Determining a player to have control only after tipping the ball away from the opponent. Calling BI for a player hanging on the rim who reaches out to tip the ball (which was clearly outside the cylinder)...it should have been a T, by rule.

You can always debate block/charge calls or travels but these are not things that should have been missed.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Mar 20, 2017 at 02:23pm.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... Calling BI for a player hanging on the rim who reaches out to tip the ball (which was clearly outside the cylinder)...it should have been a T, by rule.
Ahhh, thank you! I've asked about this three times and the question has gone unanswered. Watching it live, I thought, "NCAAM must have a different rule, because that's a T all day in high school."
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Some examples: The collision at the end of the UNC/Ark game...that had to be something. I thought it was a clear charge but it certainly wasn't a no-call.
Come on,

That was clearly a block!!!, I was good with the no call and the tip-in though.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Lets goooooooo mountaineers !!!!!
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 04:33pm
TODO: creative title here

This is a good take, courtesy of Mark Titus at theringer.com
Quote:
3. College basketball referees are bad.

One more complaint: I hate it that officials don’t just “let the players play” when the game is on the line. I also hate it when calls aren’t made on plays like the Joel Berry II drive at the end of the North Carolina’s 72–65 win over Arkansas, when Berry collided with Adrio Bailey, traveled, threw the ball toward the basket, and was bailed out by Kennedy Meeks’s rebound and tip-in. In other words, I want the refs, in the split second they have to make a decision, to be able to tell the difference between a “Let the players play!” situation and a “You have to call that!” situation. I also want them to make all the calls that I would make, while at the same time avoiding the ones that I wouldn’t make. WHAT’S SO HARD ABOUT THAT?
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 08:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBPurple View Post
What an awful and biased officiating job in the Arkansas vs North Carolina. Shameful. The officials should be held accountable for doing a pitifully poor job. What a disservice to the Razorbacks.

CPBPurple:

1) Just because the title of the thread is: "FAN BOY Thread!" does not mean it is for real fan boys. It is for the officials in this forum to cheer for their favorite teams.

2) You do realize that this Forum is populated basketball officials, some of how officiate at the college level and a few retired college officials.

3) ROCK!! CHALK!! JAYHAWK!! KAAAY!! UUUUU!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Same.

He says that every year. If you listen to the show that is about as common as the "Sheets of integrity." Who cares honestly what they think about anything officiating?

Peace
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Hook em Horns!

What?

Oh.

Nevermind.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

GO BLUE!

Got to attend the UM - UL game in Indy on Sunday...great environment and we got that W!
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

UCF Knights!!!

We finally got a team worth watching.
Thank you Johnny Dawkins!!

Not the NCAA but best UCF team, maybe ever.
I never understood why they did not hire a good coach at what
is now a huge school