The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Tourney FT Mechanic

I noticed something in a game earlier today that I thought was just an isolated occurrence. Then I kept seeing it game after game and was wondering when this mechanic started. I noticed that the C has been giving a visible count on FTs rather than a wrist flick or any other method. I have been a part of an NCAA crew for the better part of 10 years, and an NFHS official for the last 3. I don't recall seeing this at any level, except for the tourney this year. Anybody have any insight?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

I see all kinds of different counts for free throws nowadays. I do not think it is particular to the tournament.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMB View Post
I noticed something in a game earlier today that I thought was just an isolated occurrence. Then I kept seeing it game after game and was wondering when this mechanic started. I noticed that the C has been giving a visible count on FTs rather than a wrist flick or any other method. I have been a part of an NCAA crew for the better part of 10 years, and an NFHS official for the last 3. I don't recall seeing this at any level, except for the tourney this year. Anybody have any insight?
If you watch enough D1 basketball you will see that every official does it slightly differently.

I'm curious, what is this "NCAA crew" you are a part of? Are you saying you work college basketball? Shouldn't you know everyone doesn't do it the same way?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If you watch enough D1 basketball you will see that every official does it slightly differently.

I'm curious, what is this "NCAA crew" you are a part of? Are you saying you work college basketball? Shouldn't you know everyone doesn't do it the same way?
Sorry about that. Fingers moving a lot slower than my brain...LOL...That should have read TABLE crew. No I do not officiate college ball, although I hope to one day.

And yeah I know that everyone does it differently. Have seen a lot of different styles over the last decade that I have been involved with the game. I have just never noticed so many officials giving a visible count on a FT until today. And as I say that, I see one doing the wrist flick. So I guess it's much ado about nothing. Just seemed odd to see it done so often in consecutive games.

Last edited by TOMB; Sun Mar 22, 2015 at 09:37pm.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:39pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMB View Post
Sorry about that. Fingers moving a lot slower than my brain...LOL...That should have read TABLE crew.

And yeah I know that everyone does it differently. I have just never noticed so many officials giving a visible count until today. And as I say that, I see one doing the wrist flick. So I guess it's much ado about nothing. Just seemed odd to see it done so often in consecutive games.
Gotcha haha. Yeah a few still do the wrist flick (which is visible too btw) but a lot of guys do things differently.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Gotcha haha. Yeah a few still do the wrist flick (which is visible too btw) but a lot of guys do things differently.
Yeah, but the wrist flick is MUCH more subtle....LOL