The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Summary response from one assignor: My crew rating is in the bottom half of the crews he uses.
Maybe you need a different crew.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 09:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Summary response from one assignor: My crew rating is in the bottom half of the crews he uses. He uses the ratings as the basis for the number and (likely) significance of the games. The ratings are from COACHES only. Says being seen at camps by coaches is best way to get ratings up. There was nothing mentioned other than this.

I guess this means that I need to get better, or make it look like I am getting better. After 14 seasons, I know I can improve, but I am probably near my potential.
I assign for 24 schools. I don't even look at coach ratings, even though there are available to me. I find them unreliable as a measure of quality.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We get games usually about a year in advance.
Wow. Since our assigner started using Arbiter several years ago, we are lucky to get assignments two, to three, weeks in advance. We can often see "pending assignments" (light blue on "blocks" page) several weeks out, but they don't get to be "assigned games" until just a few weeks before the actual assignment date. Our assigner takes a lot of time matching up the best officials with the best games, and things change, especially with teams as the season progresses. Teams that are supposed to be good at the beginning of the season often don't pan out, and vice versa.

Back in the olden days of getting our assignments through the United States Postal Service, we would get all of our season assignments at the beginning of the season, with changes (through land line phones) mainly caused by bad weather, illness, and injuries.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 01:22pm.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Crews ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe you need a different crew.
Until I joined the Forum, I had never heard of this "crew" concept, it just doesn't happen here in Connecticut (I worked with over thirty different partners this past season). I could see advantages and disadvantages with this concept, but never considered that a crew could drag a talented individual official down the toilet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 01:17pm.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dumb Luck ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... coach ratings ... I find them unreliable as a measure of quality.
Coaches ratings (we don't do coaches ratings) are not used by our assigner for regular season, and conference/league post season, assignment purposes, instead he uses peer ratings, and input from an observation team.

Coaches votes are used for assigning state tournament games. With few exceptions, I've found that coaches do an excellent job of selecting our best officials to work state tournament games. As I said, there are a few exceptions every year, a nondeserving name, or two, that gets on the tournament list, and a deserving name, or two, that doesn't get on tournament list (out of the sixty local guys (and gals) that make the boys/girls tournament list from our local board).

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 01:29pm.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Wow. Since our assigner started using Arbiter several years ago, we are lucky to get assignments two, to three, weeks in advance. We can often see "pending assignments" (light blue on "blocks" page) several weeks out, but they don't get to be "assigned games" until just a few weeks before the actual assignment date. Our assigner takes a lot of time matching up the best officials with the best games, and things change, especially with teams as the season progresses. Teams that are supposed to be good at the beginning of the season often don't pan out, and vice versa.

Back in the olden days of getting our assignments through the United States Postal Service, we would get all of our assignments at the beginning of the season, with changes (through land line phones) mainly caused by bad weather.
Conference schedules are pretty much a rotating schedule and they know the conference games pretty much off the bat. The non-conference can change and so does some tournaments, which are only given to certain individuals anyway. And many conferences you know who is going to be good or not so good. And the rivalries never really change.

And even back in the days, the games given in mail were still given a year or more in advance. The contracts would come a few months before the season.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I already have games in February 2019. If I'm alive.

I will assign 18-19 this summer.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rivalry ...

Quote:
And the rivalries never really change.
Amen.

Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 02:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Conference schedules are pretty much a rotating schedule and they know the conference games pretty much off the bat. The non-conference can change and so does some tournaments, which are only given to certain individuals anyway. And many conferences you know who is going to be good or not so good. And the rivalries never really change.

And even back in the days, the games given in mail were still given a year or more in advance. The contracts would come a few months before the season.

Peace
We don't even register with our state board (and consequentially, officially with our associations) until July of every year, so it's impossible to assign games prior to that, of which I am glad. With my college games rolling in from August through November, there is no way I can provide availability to my HS assignors until November.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 05:03pm.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Vernal Equinox ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We don't even register with our state board (and consequentially, official with our associations) until July of every year,
Same here, although it might be in late spring, or early summer. Our annual dues are always due March 1, so it can't be earlier than that.

Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Hartsy, how does that work, being assigned to one crew? Just one crew (of two or three) all season, or are you assigned to several steady, regular crews? What happens if one member of the crew is not available for an offered assignment?

If your assigners use Arbiter, can you block partners?
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 03:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I work 70% of my games with the same two officials. Worked 5 postseason games together.

I also try to get as many as I can assigned as an individual. I think its useful to work with different people when I can, but a lot of assigners want to make 1 assignment, not 3.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I already have games in February 2019. If I'm alive.

I will assign 18-19 this summer.
I find it sad that places exist where HS sports officials have to be scheduled 2 years out. This is HS sports, after all.

As long as the schools know their games, I guess that is a natural consequence of having many competing assignors....they all want to get their games covered with the good officials before they're gone.

Here, the schools don't have a clue which dates they'll be playing at home until the summer before the season. They know they'll be playing league games on certain day but they don't know the opponent or whether they'll be home or away on those dates.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 03:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, I create my league's schedule. So there's that.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I create my league's schedule. So there's that.
If you have control of that too, then it makes it easy.