The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 10:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

I think the C has a great unobstructed look at the time of contact and again just think the L should have been more patient in going into the C's primary for this. JMO.
It is not about him being unobstructed, he is looking through a player to see contact, while the lead can see the space between the players and can see the arms. I have no problem with his call or the way he called it. That is the play they want the lead to take responsibility for and no one is really in his way to see it. That is according to the CCA book and what is being taught at camps. They want the lead to be the primary on these plays much more at the Men's level. It is talked about in just about every pre-game.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is not about him being unobstructed, he is looking through a player to see contact, while the lead can see the space between the players and can see the arms. I have no problem with his call or the way he called it. That is the play they want the lead to take responsibility for and no one is really in his way to see it. That is according to the CCA book and what is being taught at camps. They want the lead to be the primary on these plays much more at the Men's level. It is talked about in just about every pre-game.

Peace

Short version: Lead is king.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Short version: Lead is king.
In Men's college he is on this play.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
In Men's college he is on this play.

Peace

You do know we're agreeing, right?
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You do know we're agreeing, right?
Yes. Just wanted to make it clear that this is a very specific philosophy in Men's college. Sometimes people think what is a high school mechanic or standard applies to other levels. I did not have a "" in the response.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Open looks are important at every level and once the ball's in the paint, the L shouldn't be looking away....
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

As a Michigan fan who was at work officiating volleyball instead of watching the game like I wish I had been, I will comment on this.

First, looking at the replay from above, at about 1:55 of the video, you can the foul is prior to the shot. I think 1-1 is the correct call on this foul.

I think the lead did screw up by signally two shots. NW's player taps the ball to the official, but does not secure possession of the ball after the first / missed attempt. Then the official secures it at which point it is now a dead ball situation.

Since no team had possession of the ball when it become dead, the only recourse was what the officials did, go to the arrow.

This was a screw up by the officials, but also by the players as well. That ball bounced long enough for either team to secure it on a 1-1 situation, and neither did.

The much bigger screw up was with under 2 seconds left. If you have a big guy to put on the inbounder, put him on the inbounder and don't allow the perfect pass that was thrown to allow the layup at the buzzer to beat you.