The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video

Newly registered on forum, but it has been a great wealth of knowledge for me in the past as a guest.

Very wild finish. An excess timeout was granted to the team after a rebound in a tie game. This leads to the Head Coach receiving two technical fouls, all with 1.9 sec left in the game.

Last 1.9 seconds

Last four minutes of game
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

He probably should've gotten the T's and the boot a heck of a lot sooner. Charging out on the court like that? That's embarrassing. Was game management there to get him off the court ASAP?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 03:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

And according to our FB reporters, the opposing team missed the first 2 free throws in the aftermath.

The game could have continued on if not for the coach losing his cool.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:04pm
High Five Master

Wild indeed. Lots going on but why in the world are all those people along the end line? Why are all those people allowed to be crossing the court? Lots of security in place so why aren't they taking care of that stuff?

As far as officiating goes, I realize any official can grant the timeout but with 1.9 to go, it should not have been the new trial to have recognized it. New lead is closer and so is the slot.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Wild indeed. Lots going on but why in the world are all those people along the end line? Why are all those people allowed to be crossing the court? Lots of security in place so why aren't they taking care of that stuff?

As far as officiating goes, I realize any official can grant the timeout but with 1.9 to go, it should not have been the new trial to have recognized it. New lead is closer and so is the slot.
How do you know who requested the time out?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

The best part of the longer video is that the player shooting the technical foul shots missed the first two. If the coach doesn't act like a complete fool, the game probably moves right on to OT.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Too many officials will try to say they should have ignored the request in the name of "game management". I don't use the word lightly, but to me that's a cowardly approach to officiating.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Saints earn wild win over Foothills Christian - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Article says a player called a timeout.

I guess they just decided to ignore the new rule about people being in the lane area beyond the end line.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Saints earn wild win over Foothills Christian - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Article says a player called a timeout.

I guess they just decided to ignore the new rule about people being in the lane area beyond the end line.
In the video you can clearly see the player requesting a time-out, then continuing with the signal as he walks towards his bench.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

The player right in front of the trail called the timeout. BNR is correct, it's obvious as can be when you watch the film and look for it. Would've been completely obvious to the trail - I sure hope there's nobody here who would ignore that request.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The player right in front of the trail called the timeout. BNR is correct, it's obvious as can be when you watch the film and look for it. Would've been completely obvious to the trail - I sure hope there's nobody here who would ignore that request.
Your eyes (or screen resolution) must be better than mine. On first watching, I thought he was clapping -- understandable as a made FT or tip in would have been a loss and the miss takes it to OT. Watching again, I can't tell if he is clapping or calling TO -- but the official is certainly in the best position to be able to tell. And I agree if he does clearly see a TO call, the error is not with the official, but the player who has to know better. Perhaps Chris Webber will send him a sympathy card.

I'd love to see it from a better angle.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Way too small of a venue for a game of that magnitude. If it was a RS home game, or a playoff game in which the higher seed gets a home game, so be it, but I'm reasonably sure some fire codes were broken by the size of that crowd.

To who can see the timeout by the coach (granted, as it turns out, the coach didn't have one here, but let's say he had), the new trail usually has the best opportunity to peek down the line in this situation. T or C might be closer, but in transition, turning their head, or trying to hear TO in such a loud environment....it's not that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Too many officials will try to say they should have ignored the request in the name of "game management". I don't use the word lightly, but to me that's a cowardly approach to officiating.
Agree. That would be kicking a rule. You can always request a timeout. Every once in a while they happen to have a penalty attached to them, but you can always request one.

Coach didn't want to face the reality that one of his players had a Chris Webber moment. Sucks, but if he accepts that instead of making false assumptions and losing his mind, that game could very well be going to OT. That is 100%, unequivocally, on the head coach.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 05:35pm
High Five Master

My mistake, I assumed it was the head coach calling it the way the trail comes up pointing at the bench. I only watched it once and didn't catch the player calling it.
And I thought the official did a good job of trying to control the madness. The HC went nuts and was in his face a long while before he issued the 2nd T.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 06:06pm

The coach never asked #3 if he had asked for one. And it looks like he was barking at another one of his players and then...

13:40 – Looks like the coach is asking who called it.

13:45 – Kid who called it hides from the officials.

13:53 – Maybe with some encouragement from his friends the kid decides to come out from hiding and, well, fib.

If he had owned up to it in a timely manner he would have saved his coach and his team from the rest of it.

But the coach could have just believed the professionals on the floor and went back to the huddle and got to the bottom of it while there was still a chance to win the game.

Last edited by sj; Wed Mar 01, 2017 at 06:19pm.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 06:10pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

After the blocked shot with .1 on the clock, did the white coach come on the court to administer to the injured player?

What up with that?

How did the officials dally by going to the table and let the shooter catch a blow before administering FTs?