The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Loose ball and continuation of play? (Video)

Play #1: Loose ball and continuation play (Original play in thread)

Play #2:

Play #3 & 4:

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Feb 25, 2017 at 04:35pm. Reason: Added a few more plays from this game.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Play To Call ...

#1 Of course it's a foul. Red 10, attempting a steal, trips (blocking foul) White 20, and Red 10 ends up scoring off the subsequent play. I always try to separate the act of tripping (stumbling over a fallen branch on a trail hike) from the act of being tripped (overt act by a player). White 10 is tripped by Red 10.

It may not even be a loose ball (not that it matters in NFHS play), White 10 appears to still have the ball in her possession when Red 10 makes illegal contact.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 25, 2017 at 05:24pm.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, seems like obvious foul.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 03:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Of course it's a foul. Red 10, attempting a steal, trips (blocking foul) White 20, and Red 10 ends up scoring off the subsequent play. I always try to separate the act of tripping (stumbling over a fallen branch on a trail hike) from the act of being tripped (overt act by a player). White 10 is tripped by Red 10.

It may not even be a loose ball (not that it matters in NFHS play), White 10 appears to still have the ball in her possession when Red 10 makes illegal contact.

Foul on R10 was the first thing that went through my mind.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

1. Foul on red.

2. Intentional

3a. No travel.
3b. Couldn't tell
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1. Foul on red.

2. Intentional

3a. No travel.
3b. Couldn't tell
Bob, would you be so kind as to elaborate on #2? I see her barely make contact, which has no affect. Thanks.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When You Hear Hoofbeats, Don’t Think Zebras ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Bob, would you be so kind as to elaborate on #2? I see her barely make contact, which has no affect.
If the "barely" contact is grabbing at the opponent's jersey, that's not a basketball play, and thus the intentional foul. My question, did the defender actually make contact with the jersey, or did she swipe and miss?

I don't like to use the term "automatic", but when I see a jersey grab, a push from behind, or a bear hug, when the situation dictates the clock being stopped, or an easy basket being prevented, I'm, at least, thinking about the possibility of an intentional foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Bob, would you be so kind as to elaborate on #2? I see her barely make contact, which has no affect. Thanks.
2. If anything, intentional. I feel that it did have an effect.

3a. No travel.

3b. If initial control on rebound, then travel. If not, then no travel. (one could call violation on shooter for breaking FT line plane before ball hit rim, especially when that player gets the rebound.)
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. Yes. White was taken out, and not by her own doing.

2. Seems that the anticipation was that there'd be more contact than there was and our striped brother had to live with his whistle. Understandable how it happened, but not desirable. Reminds a bit of one of those "illegal," lunging back picks that draws no contact.

Upon second re-review blown up, the first (left-hand) swipe grazes the back of the jersey. A bit of an overhand motion, it could deserves the IF (though it's still so slight - see paragraph above) and must be what he whistled. The second (right-hand swipe) is likely what the defender wants to use as justification as "going after the ball," woefully distant and short as it was. Woefully.

3a. No travel

3b. Tough to see among the clutter, but it looks like lead could have seen a bunny step or two at the end (surmised only from final view). Upon second reviewing, give that L a hand: no question a travel.

And she violated at the FT line too.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 10:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Clock issues and concerns:

Apparently this was made an issue by someone in the media. It was covered in another article about the game. I wonder what everyone here thinks of this breakdown of the events. I did not notice this when I watched the game.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

On play 3b, I don't think a FT violation by the shooter is nearly as obvious as some of you do.

Is she a nanosecond early? Yes. Does her being in the lane and getting the rebound of a quick brick make it look worse? Yes. But that's a tough hair to split in the final seconds of a state final (or whatever this is).

She waits out 98 percent of the flight before the ball hits the rim, and if I'm the C, I'm frying bigger fish by that point.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Is she a nanosecond early? Yes. Does her being in the lane and getting the rebound of a quick brick make it look worse? Yes. But that's a tough hair to split in the final seconds of a state final (or whatever this is).
Being on this floor is considered the "State Finals" no matter what games you work. For the record there are 4 games each day (Friday and Saturday). Semifinals are on Friday and the Title games and 3rd place games. There are 12 officials assigned for the weekend and each official works a game each day. Officials assigned are considered "State Final Officials" in the record book regardless of if you work a title game or not that year.

This game was the 1A Title game for girls in a 4 class system. Also 1A-2A plays one weekend and the 3A-4A plays the following weekend. Each gender has their own weekend and officials do not work a lot of both genders in the playoffs in total, but there are exceptions if the schedule allows them to work both.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 26, 2017, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Play 1- Falls under Call The Obvious.

Play 2-Rules justification for intentional, sure. And the official obviously has a better look live than I do on my cpu. But I'd go common with that minimal contact/grab.

Play 3- I don't see clear travels on either play and am passing on both. Also passing on the potential FT violation. All marginal.

Easy to say from my couch but I don't like the sequence on just the videos here. Missed the obvious and then marginal, IMO, intentional and travel call wiping a bucket.

And the clock did seem to run some over 2 seconds after the whistle for the travel if the video is accurate.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2017, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

#1. Obvious foul on red 10.

#2. Nothing...at most she touched her. She didn't grab the shirt even if she was actually trying to.

#3. Legal play

#4. FT violation. Shooter was running in before the ball got to the rim and actually got the rebound. Remember that she is in when the foot crosses the plane, not when it touches. After that, she traveled. Caught in the air, right foot, left foot, left foot, right foot....travel.

#5...the clock should have been reset to 11.5. They were shorted 3 seconds. Hard to say if it made a difference but it may have given the losing team time for 1-2 more passes and a chance at a better shot.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;1001173]#1. Obvious foul on red 10.

#2. Nothing...at most she touched her. She didn't grab the shirt even if she was actually trying to.

From experience here - it is better to get the intentional "touch" so that she doesn't feel that she has to subsequently tackle her to accomplish her goal.