The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughts on this Technical

T'd up for dancing. Is this unsporting?

No idea of time or score, or if that would even alter your decision.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose it could be construed as a taunt. I guess it is a had to be there situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only way this makes sense is if he said something. Otherwise, steal the damn ball while he is doing all that extra stuff.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Not a T unless he said something. Do you T a kid up for fancy dribbling? Now if he does this in a kids face after a made basket I have something different. But not what this video shows.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

As much as I may want to, I don't think there's much justification without more to the story.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

There is a picture that shows the score in the 3rd quarter as 111-27. Also notice that the visiting team had no players on their bench. Maybe the official thought this was taunting because of the disparity in talent and that the home player was showing up the visiting team.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
As much as I may want to, I don't think there's much justification without more to the story.
I don't even want to. Why would you want to?

HTBT....maybe something was said, or maybe there was stuff that happened before that made this T-worthy.

By itself....I was actually quite amused and entertained. Even Pistol Pete Maravich might have appreciated this.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is a picture that shows the score in the 3rd quarter as 111-27. Also notice that the visiting team had no players on their bench. Maybe the official thought this was taunting because of the disparity in talent and that the home player was showing up the visiting team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
HTBT....maybe something was said, or maybe there was stuff that happened before that made this T-worthy.
Ok....now the situation is coming into more focus. Maybe not such a bad T after all.

I still laughed, though.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Probably a good call for taunting actually. If games not close and I'm on defense...there's going to be a fight. If the game is in reach and he does this, go take the ball or let him act like idiot.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Again, I'm a coach not an official and my contribution here is to say this kind of on-court behavior should have been nipped in the bud by the person guiding the team. Regardless of how I might feel on the short side of a lopsided score (and we've played Nathan Hale, Garfield, and Rainier Beach here this season so I've been there) I would not expect the officials to levy a technical foul for this.

Everything is a teaching moment and I would use this to instruct my players on the value of sportsmanship - both offered and received. By rule I doubt it's "taunting" but you all are the pros so I'll defer.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopologist View Post
Again, I'm a coach not an official and my contribution here is to say this kind of on-court behavior should have been nipped in the bud by the person guiding the team. Regardless of how I might feel on the short side of a lopsided score (and we've played Nathan Hale, Garfield, and Rainier Beach here this season so I've been there) I would not expect the officials to levy a technical foul for this.

Everything is a teaching moment and I would use this to instruct my players on the value of sportsmanship - both offered and received. By rule I doubt it's "taunting" but you all are the pros so I'll defer.
Your right. Frankly, no player of mine would ever consider doing this. Hopefully, none of yours would either. If one of my players had an aneurism and did this there would be an immediate TO....and...

But, if you won't deal with it(or as this coach didn't) as the referee in a 70 point game I'm not going to let it happen. I will deal with it.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he T'd him up because the official was jealous the kid has better dance moves than he ever had?

In all seriousness, I saw this earlier and said it would have to be HTBT moment in terms of what else was happening in the game. Without the full context, and just based on this clip, I wouldn't have T'd him up.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Young'uns ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Even Pistol Pete Maravich might have appreciated this.
I'm sure that many here on the Forum don't know who Pistol Peter Maravich is. He may not have invented the no look pass, but he certainty perfected it.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 17, 2017 at 06:00pm.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 02:59am
The old new guy

If there was nothing said I would not have T'd this kid up for this. Especially if the score what it was. We call it dancing b/c the history of the kid was presented in the story. But I doubt the official thought it was more than fancy dribbling. I don't get that one. I'm actually amazed that some of you guys would have also considered it. If anyone this is for coach to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardmason View Post
If there was nothing said I would not have T'd this kid up for this. Especially if the score what it was. We call it dancing b/c the history of the kid was presented in the story. But I doubt the official thought it was more than fancy dribbling. I don't get that one. I'm actually amazed that some of you guys would have also considered it. If anyone this is for coach to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the official thought it was nothing more than fancy dribbling, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was taunting. They were clearly mocking the other team's lack of skill. That has no place in HS sports. To just dismiss this as nothing is a fast way to a fight.