The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts on this Technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102274-thoughts-technical.html)

Dale3 Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:21pm

Thoughts on this Technical

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Senior Night Tonight ! Ima Miss High School 😭💕👌🏾 had to do it for my man <a href="https://twitter.com/ImNextRecruitin">@ImNextRecruitin</a> 1 time ! <a href="https://t.co/x2JjrliCuC">pic.twitter.com/x2JjrliCuC</a></p>&mdash; ☁️SWAGS (@YVNGSWAG_) <a href="https://twitter.com/YVNGSWAG_/status/832393772927442944">February 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

T'd up for dancing. Is this unsporting?

No idea of time or score, or if that would even alter your decision.

constable Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:36pm

I suppose it could be construed as a taunt. I guess it is a had to be there situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JRutledge Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:42pm

The only way this makes sense is if he said something. Otherwise, steal the damn ball while he is doing all that extra stuff.

Peace

deecee Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:45pm

Not a T unless he said something. Do you T a kid up for fancy dribbling? Now if he does this in a kids face after a made basket I have something different. But not what this video shows.

frezer11 Fri Feb 17, 2017 03:03pm

As much as I may want to, I don't think there's much justification without more to the story.

Raymond Fri Feb 17, 2017 03:22pm

There is a picture that shows the score in the 3rd quarter as 111-27. Also notice that the visiting team had no players on their bench. Maybe the official thought this was taunting because of the disparity in talent and that the home player was showing up the visiting team.

crosscountry55 Fri Feb 17, 2017 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1000519)
As much as I may want to, I don't think there's much justification without more to the story.

I don't even want to. Why would you want to?

HTBT....maybe something was said, or maybe there was stuff that happened before that made this T-worthy.

By itself....I was actually quite amused and entertained. Even Pistol Pete Maravich might have appreciated this.

crosscountry55 Fri Feb 17, 2017 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1000521)
There is a picture that shows the score in the 3rd quarter as 111-27. Also notice that the visiting team had no players on their bench. Maybe the official thought this was taunting because of the disparity in talent and that the home player was showing up the visiting team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1000522)
HTBT....maybe something was said, or maybe there was stuff that happened before that made this T-worthy.

Ok....now the situation is coming into more focus. Maybe not such a bad T after all.

I still laughed, though.

BigCat Fri Feb 17, 2017 04:05pm

Probably a good call for taunting actually. If games not close and I'm on defense...there's going to be a fight. If the game is in reach and he does this, go take the ball or let him act like idiot.

hoopologist Fri Feb 17, 2017 04:33pm

Again, I'm a coach not an official and my contribution here is to say this kind of on-court behavior should have been nipped in the bud by the person guiding the team. Regardless of how I might feel on the short side of a lopsided score (and we've played Nathan Hale, Garfield, and Rainier Beach here this season so I've been there) I would not expect the officials to levy a technical foul for this.

Everything is a teaching moment and I would use this to instruct my players on the value of sportsmanship - both offered and received. By rule I doubt it's "taunting" but you all are the pros so I'll defer.

BigCat Fri Feb 17, 2017 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopologist (Post 1000530)
Again, I'm a coach not an official and my contribution here is to say this kind of on-court behavior should have been nipped in the bud by the person guiding the team. Regardless of how I might feel on the short side of a lopsided score (and we've played Nathan Hale, Garfield, and Rainier Beach here this season so I've been there) I would not expect the officials to levy a technical foul for this.

Everything is a teaching moment and I would use this to instruct my players on the value of sportsmanship - both offered and received. By rule I doubt it's "taunting" but you all are the pros so I'll defer.

Your right. Frankly, no player of mine would ever consider doing this. Hopefully, none of yours would either. If one of my players had an aneurism and did this there would be an immediate TO....and...

But, if you won't deal with it(or as this coach didn't) as the referee in a 70 point game I'm not going to let it happen. I will deal with it.

RefCT Fri Feb 17, 2017 05:18pm

Maybe he T'd him up because the official was jealous the kid has better dance moves than he ever had? :D

In all seriousness, I saw this earlier and said it would have to be HTBT moment in terms of what else was happening in the game. Without the full context, and just based on this clip, I wouldn't have T'd him up.

BillyMac Fri Feb 17, 2017 05:57pm

For The Young'uns ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1000522)
Even Pistol Pete Maravich might have appreciated this.

I'm sure that many here on the Forum don't know who Pistol Peter Maravich is. He may not have invented the no look pass, but he certainty perfected it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f0BCvV0oX9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

diehardmason Sat Feb 18, 2017 02:59am

If there was nothing said I would not have T'd this kid up for this. Especially if the score what it was. We call it dancing b/c the history of the kid was presented in the story. But I doubt the official thought it was more than fancy dribbling. I don't get that one. I'm actually amazed that some of you guys would have also considered it. If anyone this is for coach to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sat Feb 18, 2017 04:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardmason (Post 1000558)
If there was nothing said I would not have T'd this kid up for this. Especially if the score what it was. We call it dancing b/c the history of the kid was presented in the story. But I doubt the official thought it was more than fancy dribbling. I don't get that one. I'm actually amazed that some of you guys would have also considered it. If anyone this is for coach to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the official thought it was nothing more than fancy dribbling, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was taunting. They were clearly mocking the other team's lack of skill. That has no place in HS sports. To just dismiss this as nothing is a fast way to a fight.