Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 05:36am
The old new guy

Thoughts on this Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If the official thought it was nothing more than fancy dribbling, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was taunting. They were clearly mocking the other team's lack of skill. That has no place in HS sports. To just dismiss this as nothing is a fast way to a fight.
We've had officials think plenty of things, but does that make them correct? I've seen plenty of thoughts in this forum that were clearly wrong but the guys posting knew they were correct without question.

I was blessed to be able to play ball at a pretty high level in high school and D-1 SEC college ball In the late 90s. I've seen teams and kids get embarrassed at a level that makes this look elementary with zero mention of a technical foul. That was a poor attempt at taunting if that's what it was. I understand the integrity of the sport but I still don't see it. I'll keep reading though and maybe I'll have an epiphany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by diehardmason; Sat Feb 18, 2017 at 05:39am.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardmason View Post
We've had officials think plenty of things, but does that make them correct? I've seen plenty of thoughts in this forum that were clearly wrong but the guys posting knew they were correct without question.

I was blessed to be able to play ball at a pretty high level in high school and D-1 SEC college ball In the late 90s. I've seen teams and kids get embarrassed at a level that makes this look elementary with zero mention of a technical foul. That was a poor attempt at taunting if that's what it was. I understand the integrity of the sport but I still don't see it. I'll keep reading though and maybe I'll have an epiphany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being embarrassed isn't the issue. It is doing something that is not naturally part of the game with the express purpose of trying to embarrass the other team which is clearly not at the same level.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 12:56pm
We don't rent pigs

I'm okay with a T for this. It would be better if the official told the coach to have his guys knock it off and play ball first.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm okay with a T for this. It would be better if the official told the coach to have his guys knock it off and play ball first.
He may have. We don't know when, during the game, this kind of conduct began.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 02:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If the official thought it was nothing more than fancy dribbling, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was taunting. They were clearly mocking the other team's lack of skill. That has no place in HS sports. To just dismiss this as nothing is a fast way to a fight.
When I first saw the video, it screamed "taunting" to me. I would have liked to talk to him about it, but sometimes we don't get that chance.

In an 80 point game, skip the talk and just call the T. He's not trying some new killer move, he's taunting the defense and there's no other explanation for it.

And you don't get to compare this to a college game, particularly at the D1 SEC level.