The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

FT - Marked Lane Spaces

OK, I've looked at Rules 8-1-4 and 9-1-2 and their respective case plays. I'm still unclear as to how this should have been called.

NFHS Rules

A1 is on the line for 2 shots. Ball is given to the shooter. Shoots and makes the first shot. The administering official then realizes that B1 is in one of the first marked lane spaces, but A2 is in the other first marked lane space.

Who is the violation on? Is it on A2 for incorrectly occupying a marked lane space, or is it on Team B for failure to occupy the required space? Does the made FT Count?

Please cite the rule and logic behind your ruling.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
OK, I've looked at Rules 8-1-4 and 9-1-2 and their respective case plays. I'm still unclear as to how this should have been called.

NFHS Rules

A1 is on the line for 2 shots. Ball is given to the shooter. Shoots and makes the first shot. The administering official then realizes that B1 is in one of the first marked lane spaces, but A2 is in the other first marked lane space.

Who is the violation on? Is it on A2 for incorrectly occupying a marked lane space, or is it on Team B for failure to occupy the required space? Does the made FT Count?

Please cite the rule and logic behind your ruling.
Double (or maybe simultaneous) violation. But, if it's not caught until the FT is over, there's nothing to do.

If it had been caught during the FT (from "ball at disposal" until "FT ends"), then the FT doesn't count, and shoot the second (or go to the arrow if this was the last FT in the sequence or a 1-1).
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Double (or maybe simultaneous) violation. But, if it's not caught until the FT is over, there's nothing to do.

If it had been caught during the FT (from "ball at disposal" until "FT ends"), then the FT doesn't count, and shoot the second (or go to the arrow if this was the last FT in the sequence or a 1-1).
Is my memory wrong, or did double/simultaneous violations used to be a re-take of the FT no matter the result of the FT?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Is my memory wrong, or did double/simultaneous violations used to be a re-take of the FT no matter the result of the FT?
It's been cancellation of the shot for as long as I remember.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It's been cancellation of the shot for as long as I remember.
Based on what rule section? And when you say cancellation, do you mean they don't get to re-do it, or they do get a do-over?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 05:26pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Based on what rule section? And when you say cancellation, do you mean they don't get to re-do it, or they do get a do-over?

9-3-3 penalty: If there is a simultaneous violation by each team, the ball becomes dead and no point can be scored. Remaining free throws are administered or play is resumed by the team entitled to the alternating possession throw in at the spot nearest the violation.

Lonesome Dove