The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FT - Marked Lane Spaces (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102259-ft-marked-lane-spaces.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Feb 14, 2017 02:49pm

FT - Marked Lane Spaces

OK, I've looked at Rules 8-1-4 and 9-1-2 and their respective case plays. I'm still unclear as to how this should have been called.

NFHS Rules

A1 is on the line for 2 shots. Ball is given to the shooter. Shoots and makes the first shot. The administering official then realizes that B1 is in one of the first marked lane spaces, but A2 is in the other first marked lane space.

Who is the violation on? Is it on A2 for incorrectly occupying a marked lane space, or is it on Team B for failure to occupy the required space? Does the made FT Count?

Please cite the rule and logic behind your ruling.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 14, 2017 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1000236)
OK, I've looked at Rules 8-1-4 and 9-1-2 and their respective case plays. I'm still unclear as to how this should have been called.

NFHS Rules

A1 is on the line for 2 shots. Ball is given to the shooter. Shoots and makes the first shot. The administering official then realizes that B1 is in one of the first marked lane spaces, but A2 is in the other first marked lane space.

Who is the violation on? Is it on A2 for incorrectly occupying a marked lane space, or is it on Team B for failure to occupy the required space? Does the made FT Count?

Please cite the rule and logic behind your ruling.

Double (or maybe simultaneous) violation. But, if it's not caught until the FT is over, there's nothing to do.

If it had been caught during the FT (from "ball at disposal" until "FT ends"), then the FT doesn't count, and shoot the second (or go to the arrow if this was the last FT in the sequence or a 1-1).

so cal lurker Tue Feb 14, 2017 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1000239)
Double (or maybe simultaneous) violation. But, if it's not caught until the FT is over, there's nothing to do.

If it had been caught during the FT (from "ball at disposal" until "FT ends"), then the FT doesn't count, and shoot the second (or go to the arrow if this was the last FT in the sequence or a 1-1).

Is my memory wrong, or did double/simultaneous violations used to be a re-take of the FT no matter the result of the FT?

Adam Tue Feb 14, 2017 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1000248)
Is my memory wrong, or did double/simultaneous violations used to be a re-take of the FT no matter the result of the FT?

It's been cancellation of the shot for as long as I remember.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Feb 14, 2017 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1000248)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1000249)
It's been cancellation of the shot for as long as I remember.

Based on what rule section? And when you say cancellation, do you mean they don't get to re-do it, or they do get a do-over?

just another ref Tue Feb 14, 2017 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1000250)
Based on what rule section? And when you say cancellation, do you mean they don't get to re-do it, or they do get a do-over?

9-3-3 penalty: If there is a simultaneous violation by each team, the ball becomes dead and no point can be scored. Remaining free throws are administered or play is resumed by the team entitled to the alternating possession throw in at the spot nearest the violation.