Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 01:43am
Do not give a damn!!

West Virginia @ Kansas (Video 4 plays)

Video #1: Three Different

Video #2:

Peace
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Play 1: Ref signaled player control foul. ???

Play 2: If ref being so strict on count and it being very close to release of thrower, why didn't he see defender clearly break plane? Too bad as it took a possession away from the inbounding team.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 07:01am
Administrator

Video #1, Play #1

I am a KU fan and I had trouble finding a foul. It looked most contact we see at the Division I. Of course it is 07:00am in the morning and I can't see straight yet, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am a KU fan and I had trouble finding a foul. It looked most contact we see at the Division I. Of course it is 07:00am in the morning and I can't see straight yet, .

MTD, Sr.
I agree that, in practice, there is much more contact allowed during throw-ins than during "normal" play. I still think these were all good fouls.

(And, -- should more contact be allowed? is this the next POE -- or did NCAAM come out with a directive recently?)
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Throw in video question - what are your thoughts on when the official starts his count? I feel like I see teams all the time take their time to pick up the ball after a made basket to give their press break time to set up (Duke does this all the time vs a pressing team).

It appears the ball just bounces straight into his lap after the made basket, then he drops it, count starts. Once he picks it up again and is ready to throw it in, he only has 3 seconds left.

I feel like the benefit of the doubt usually goes to the team throwing it in, not in this case.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

I think the new lead should've made the plane violation (or a 5-second call) from half court.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 11:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale3 View Post
Throw in video question - what are your thoughts on when the official starts his count? I feel like I see teams all the time take their time to pick up the ball after a made basket to give their press break time to set up (Duke does this all the time vs a pressing team).

It appears the ball just bounces straight into his lap after the made basket, then he drops it, count starts. Once he picks it up again and is ready to throw it in, he only has 3 seconds left.

I feel like the benefit of the doubt usually goes to the team throwing it in, not in this case.
And I feel teams are allowed to get away with this far too often. The WVU player had the ball at his disposal and chose to drop the ball in hopes the official wouldn't start his count. He chose wrong.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 11:43am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

While this signal is widely used as a PC, it is the team control signal...I believe that is what he was going with.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 11:44am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And I feel teams are allowed to get away with this far too often. The WVU player had the ball at his disposal and chose to drop the ball in hopes the official wouldn't start his count. He chose wrong.
Yes!

The official was right to start the count when he did. Now, I think there was a plane violation as well, but he didn't start his throw-in count earlier.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree that, in practice, there is much more contact allowed during throw-ins than during "normal" play. I still think these were all good fouls.
True, but still not as much as is allowed during free throws.

Agree in general that these were all good calls.

As for the five-second call, I loved the T's count until his last tick, which I felt was a little rushed IOT "get" the violation.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
True, but still not as much as is allowed during free throws.

Agree in general that these were all good calls.

As for the five-second call, I loved the T's count until his last tick, which I felt was a little rushed IOT "get" the violation.
I thought that the first time I watched it too. Then I watched it again, and it looked like it was timed the same, he just whipped the arm quick so he could get the other one up. Just how it looked to me though, and I'm not claiming to be a guru.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Look closely in the 5 second call video, Bill Self is standing 2 feet from the official calling the count for him
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 03:24pm
AremRed

Play 1: First one is a little light, but other are defendable on video.

Play 2: Clearly missed plane violation, and he only gave 4.5 counts. Clearly speeds up his last count.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

Play 2: If ref being so strict on count and it being very close to release of thrower, why didn't he see defender clearly break plane? Too bad as it took a possession away from the inbounding team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
While this signal is widely used as a PC, it is the team control signal...I believe that is what he was going with.
Are we sure we're looking at the official that actually called the foul....it was the C from across the court. It looked like he called a hold to me. The T was just swining a 5 count with the arm going straight out, not a foul.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
For NCAAM, I do not agree that a hand behind the head is a team control foul mechanic. Page 142 of the current NCAAM rule book agrees with me.