The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with this. Valentine failing to follow the rules.
I guarantee TV's supervisor didn't want a whistle on that play.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What rule says he can't declare his whistle inadvertent?
He should have held his hand up and moved his wrist back and forth. He just picked up his flag. I tease my football friends because they get to change their mind.

I'm fine with what TV did. He's done it long enough for all to know he does what he thinks is right. Right or wrong...(as opposed to being influenced by one side or the other). We pass on things all the time. He blew his whistle and realized game didn't need that call. I don't recommend doing it to often or younger guys doing it but I'm fine with what he did.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
He should have held his hand up and moved his wrist back and forth. He just picked up his flag. I tease my football friends because they get to change their mind.
Football officials actually rarely change their minds anymore than basketball officials change calls. Very rare. But unlike basketball, we have more people that have jurisdiction over things and helps give information that actually get the call right, like if the ball crossed the expanded neutral zone. No more than officials change an out of bounds call or even change a violation like a BC violation.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Football officials actually rarely change their minds anymore than basketball officials change calls. Very rare. But unlike basketball, we have more people that have jurisdiction over things and helps give information that actually get the call right, like if the ball crossed the expanded neutral zone. No more than officials change an out of bounds call or even change a violation like a BC violation.

Peace
Yes, I know they pick it up to get it right. They have more people to help get call right. I know I've made basketball calls and wish there was a gap for discussion and more ability to change call.

Are football rules more or less complicated than basketball? I like high school football but never studied rules.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Yes, I know they pick it up to get it right. They have more people to help get call right. I know I've made basketball calls and wish there was a gap for discussion and more ability to change call.

Are football rules more or less complicated than basketball? I like high school football but never studied rules.
Football is a rules sport. Basketball is a judgment sport. It is really that simple.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Football is a rules sport. Basketball is a judgment sport. It is really that simple.

Peace
I played basketball and baseball...coached forever. Started refereeing/umpiring as a kid and really didn't read the books. Made it through just on experience of playing.

Didn't play football but have watched fair amount. Been asked to get licensed. I suppose with the number of other zebras on a crew they'd get me through it. Wouldn't like going out though without knowing all rules.

Basketball rules and case book can be tough read. Wondering how football compares. Maybe this should be moved to football thread....BUT basketball referees ought to be able to say every now and then "I've changed my mind.no foul."
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Football has many more rules and variations of the rules. Often discussions are more about trying to give information to get the call right. As well the play is often over so a decision has to be made. I am a Referee (or White hat) and I have to get information, not trying to change anything. I know on my crew it is rare that we even change a call other than when the rules allow like multiple fouls on the same team. One foul usually is going to hurt worse and you cannot always take both of them. And when you factor in the over 200 or so differences from college to high school, that can be difficult to keep everything straight when you have the participants often thinking what is legal of what they see on TV, applies to their level. The controversial Fenwick-Plainfield North situation as a glowing example of this during this past year.

Peace