Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
NFHS Officials Manual 3.2.2:
"The Lead may be made on either side of the thrower for end line throw-ins in the frontcourt. Proper positioning should be based on providing the best possible coverage."
Thanks for info!

It appears that our evaluators simply want us on the outside of the thrower unless it puts us outside of the 3 point line, as their preference. I can absolutely understand why some of you are saying that you are standing inside the thrower.

Based on personal experience, I have yet to have a thrower in bound the ball, have the ball or play go towards the post and have my look blocked out by the thrower.

I suppose it can happen, and happen regularly, and maybe I should just feel lucky it hasn't happened to me.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Awesome. That makes it so much easier when you have that ball thrown into the lane area.
Now I get to have the debate/argument with my evaluators when I actually do it to gain a better view.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Thanks for info!

It appears that our evaluators simply want us on the outside of the thrower unless it puts us outside of the 3 point line, as their preference. I can absolutely understand why some of you are saying that you are standing inside the thrower.

Based on personal experience, I have yet to have a thrower in bound the ball, have the ball or play go towards the post and have my look blocked out by the thrower.

I suppose it can happen, and happen regularly, and maybe I should just feel lucky it hasn't happened to me.

It happened to me at a state tournament. Our C saved me. Changed my viewpoint.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It happened to me at a state tournament. Our C saved me. Changed my viewpoint.
I can see how that would happen. I would going to say something about a strong C making sure you don't miss something in one of my previous replies.

I have confidence in my partners, especially at the state tourney, and that is part of why I have never even thought about standing on the inside. Even a strong C can miss it and I can see why some of you choose to stand on the inside.

It's something I am going to explore moving forward.