The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Resumption of play question

NCAAM

A1 goes up for a dunk, and misses. The ball comes off of the rim. A1, while still grasping the rim with his left hand reaches out with his right where he grabs the ball and it lands in his palm. He's clearly in control of the ball.

So we've got a class B on A1 for using the rim to gain an advantage. How do we resume play. I know that resumption of play on a class B is POI, but the POI here occurred with A1 in possession of the ball. We can't just shoot one FT and then give the ball back to A for a baseline throw in under their basket, can we? But I don't see in the rules book a justification for anything else. I've stumped a number of guys with this. Thoughts?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
NCAAM

A1 goes up for a dunk, and misses. The ball comes off of the rim. A1, while still grasping the rim with his left hand reaches out with his right where he grabs the ball and it lands in his palm. He's clearly in control of the ball.

So we've got a class B on A1 for using the rim to gain an advantage. How do we resume play. I know that resumption of play on a class B is POI, but the POI here occurred with A1 in possession of the ball. We can't just shoot one FT and then give the ball back to A for a baseline throw in under their basket, can we? But I don't see in the rules book a justification for anything else. I've stumped a number of guys with this. Thoughts?
It's POI. What you think is fair is irrelevant.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=rockchalk jhawk;998876]NCAAM

So we've got a class B on A1 for using the rim to gain an advantage. How do we resume play. I know that resumption of play on a class B is POI, but the POI here occurred with A1 in possession of the ball. We can't just shoot one FT and then give the ball back to A for a baseline throw in under their basket, can we? But I don't see in the rules book a justification for anything else. I've stumped a number of guys with this. Thoughts?[/QUOT

I think when he starts reaching for the ball while still hanging on rim is when you can say it's excessive. There's no control at that time so have to go to arrow.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

The infraction is grasping the rim, which sounds to me, occurred before possession of the ball. No team control during infraction so go to A/P.

My cent.