The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I want to see the girl hold the ball for 4 seconds after the jumpstop, launch, and have MTD count the bucket.

I'll pay the young lady's way to Ohio.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Colour My World (Chicago, 1970) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why would I care about the color of a shirt? Does it influence the game? Can I still see the jersey?
After working a few scrimmages early this season where we allowed players to wear a variety of colors for undershirts under scrimmage vests, I can say that players on the same team wearing all the same color undershirt, and players on the other team wearing a different color undershirt (all the same color), makes officiating a little easier, especially calling those rebounding fouls in a crowd of players under the basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
After working a few scrimmages early this season where we allowed players to wear a variety of colors for undershirts under scrimmage vests, I can say that players on the same team wearing all the same color undershirt, and players on the other team wearing a different color undershirt (all the same color), makes officiating a little easier, especially calling those rebounding fouls in a crowd of players under the basket.
My concern isn't the officials. We can always take an extra second, it's a white player seeing sleeves out of the corner of her eye and making a pass. Split second decisions can be altered due to that much white on a blue player.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 06:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It looks great on a 24" monitor.

I do appreciate the clarity of the videos also.

That said, I agree with the majority that I have the foul preceding the shooting motion. Endline spot.
OK, but the resolution does not change based on the size of the video. The quality only changes by the computer feed you have and quality of your computer. Oh well.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 06:07pm
Administrator

I am sitting in the dressing room getting ready to officiate a Special Olympics game at 06:30pm so I do not have the capability of quoting chapter and verse. This is my first game officiating since January 12th and I really should not be officiating (those select few know why) but against my family and my doctors' better judgement I am going to suck it up and officiate through the hip pain.

That said, I think that everyone taking part in this discussion will agree that W-4 stopped her dribble while her left foot was in contact with the court and her right foot was not. She then continued non-stop (continuously): to jump off of her left foot, then land, simultaneously on both feet, and jumped off both feet simultaneously, and while in the air released the ball toward Team W's basket and the ball went through her team's basket.

Now, let us take B-10 out of the play. In other words B-10 does not foul W-4. I would like to ask all of those members of the forum who have taken the position that W-4 was not fouled in the act of shooting to tell me if W-4's basket should or should not be scored, and why? Please do not forget to quote chapter and verse.

Time to join Mark, Jr., on the court. Later tonight everyone.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am sitting in the dressing room getting ready to officiate a Special Olympics game at 06:30pm so I do not have the capability of quoting chapter and verse. This is my first game officiating since January 12th and I really should not be officiating (those select few know why) but against my family and my doctors' better judgement I am going to suck it up and officiate through the hip pain.

That said, I think that everyone taking part in this discussion will agree that W-4 stopped her dribble while her left foot was in contact with the court and her right foot was not. She then continued non-stop (continuously): to jump off of her left foot, then land, simultaneously on both feet, and jumped off both feet simultaneously, and while in the air released the ball toward Team W's basket and the ball went through her team's basket.

Now, let us take B-10 out of the play. In other words B-10 does not foul W-4. I would like to ask all of those members of the forum who have taken the position that W-4 was not fouled in the act of shooting to tell me if W-4's basket should or should not be scored, and why? Please do not forget to quote chapter and verse.

Time to join Mark, Jr., on the court. Later tonight everyone.

MTD, Sr.
Count it....uhhh, because live ball went through basket. There is nothing in this video showing player began her throwing motion until after she landed on jump stop. The jump stop doesn't count as part of the act because foot movement doesn't count until you are in the act. Begin throwing motion.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 07:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Mark, I'm going to humor you and ask you how your question is relevant. You can't take out a major part of the play like that. Of course the shot would have counted if she hadn't been fouled.

You're saying the shooting motion starts when she begins her jump stop?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Mark, I'm going to humor you and ask you how your question is relevant. You can't take out a major part of the play like that. Of course the shot would have counted if she hadn't been fouled.

You're saying the shooting motion starts when she begins her jump stop?
I know you are asking him but that is what he said in paragraph 11 of his ...whatever we call it. He actually said it starts when the dribble ends. Same thing..different words
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 07:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I know you are asking him but that is what he said in paragraph 11 of his ...whatever we call it. He actually said it starts when the dribble ends. Same thing..different words
I honestly didn't read this version of the dissertation. Thanks for taking the time for me.

I'll just quickly disagree with that assessment of this particular play.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I honestly didn't read this version of the dissertation. Thanks for taking the time for me.

I'll just quickly disagree with that assessment of this particular play.
Yes, for some reason I read it all
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

A jumpstop is not part of the habitual throwing movement. That should be clear to everyone, despite what MTD says.

Let me point out that the continuous motion rule states that the throwing motion must have started BEFORE the time of the foul for any stepping or arm movement to be permitted.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 09:07pm
Administrator

Mark, Jr., and I are having dinner after our game right now. We were officiating S.O. in Defiance, Ohio, tonight. Still have about 45 minutes before we are home. Therefore, I will not be responding to any comments tonight except to say that NevadaRef can think of the same three or four other plays that will prove my point.

Have a great evening everyone.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Do not miss the point. It is not the biggest priority. And I have done other games were we never dictate what what is worn or even the jersey and somehow we get it right. I guess if players skin tones were all the same that would make it easier too, but we know if they have nothing on chances are we are dealing with the same issue of the color of their arms or legs. I just find worrying about it beyond what your state wants as kind of silly in general.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
I want to see the girl hold the ball for 4 seconds after the jumpstop, launch, and have MTD count the bucket.

I'll pay the young lady's way to Ohio.
It does say "continuous motion".
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My concern isn't the officials. We can always take an extra second, it's a white player seeing sleeves out of the corner of her eye and making a pass. Split second decisions can be altered due to that much white on a blue player.
Not relevant since all players can wear white sleeves, black sleeves, etc. that cover far more than the arms on a typical undershirt.