The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 07:05am
Administrator

I am joining the party late with regard to this thread but there are a select few on this Forum that understand why I have not be responding in a more timely manner. None-the-less I would like to add my two cents to the conversation.

FIRST: With respect to the size of the screen: I like the full size screen embedded into the post. I find that it makes it easier for me to make stop-action viewing of the video.

SECOND: Yes, I also noticed the white undershirt being worn by B-10, and BillyMac is already thinking that the officials ignoring this infraction really fried my tuchus. !

THIRD: I want to address the play being discussed. I want to apologize in advance for the length of my comments, and including in some instances quoting the entire rule rather than just giving the rule number. But those old hands of the Forum that know me, know that I can be very methodical (it is just my profession creeping into my breakdown of basketball officiating plays) and I believe that the play being discussed lends itself to being broken down almost second-by-second, frame-by-frame because the number of rule sections that must be applied in order to get the correct call. Therefore, without further ado, I will address the following comments by other members of the Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
I have the foul before the shot as well. Had she thrown the ball at the basket before finishing the jump stop, I would have a shooting foul (not that it was really feasible in this situation).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"No shot. Possession underneath."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Geesh. He called the foul on the contact that happened before she even hit the ground after jump stop. She obviously isn't started up yet. Again, not even a close call..

Is number 4 your daughter by chance? I know you are for your kids so I don't want to be harsh... but I dont see any of these plays in her/your favor..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not shooting foul if you ask me. The move was a jump stop, not an active part of the shot.

Peace
1) The first foul I see by B-10 against W-4 is at T = 0:10 while W-4 is still dribbling the ball. But I do not think that is the foul that we are discussing; I think that we would agree that we all would pass on the hand check foul.

2) W-4 ends her dribble by letting the ball come to rest in both of her hands while her left foot is on the floor and her right foot off the floor at 11.0 = T < 11.5.

3) I believe the foul the poster wants to discuss and the one we are discussing occurs at 0:11.5 = T < 12.0.

4) NFHS R4-S44-A2b2 says: "Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot if one foot is on the floor. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case."

5) NFHS R4-S44-A3b says: "Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal."

6) NFHS R4-S11-A1 says: "Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight."

7) NFHS R4-S11-A2 says: "If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or *stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight."

8) NFHS R4-S41-A3 says: "The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball."

9) (4) and (5) tells us that W-4 can end her dribble while her left foot is in contact with the court and her right foot is not in contact with the court. She can then jump off her left foot and land simultaneously on both feet. She can then jump off both feet to release the ball to either pass the ball or attempt a shot.

10) We also know that a player cannot shoot the ball while dribbling the ball. That means that a player dribbling the ball must stop her dribble in order to shoot the ball.

11) Combining (8), (9), and (10) tells us that W-4's shot started when she ended her dribble and ended when she released the ball. Therefore, by rule, W-4 was fouled by B-10 while in the act of shooting. This also applies to NCAA Men's/Women's. Some of you will say that the I am applying the NBA/WNBA rule to the NFHS and NCAA Men'/Women's rule. And while the wording of the NBA/WNBA rule is not the same as the NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rules, the application is the same.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am joining the party late with regard to this thread but there are a select few on this Forum that understand why I have not be responding in a more timely manner. None-the-less I would like to add my two cents to the conversation.

FIRST: With respect to the size of the screen: I like the full size screen embedded into the post. I find that it makes it easier for me to make stop-action viewing of the video.

SECOND: Yes, I also noticed the white undershirt being worn by B-10, and BillyMac is already thinking that the officials ignoring this infraction really fried my tuchus. !

THIRD: I want to address the play being discussed. I want to apologize in advance for the length of my comments, and including in some instances quoting the entire rule rather than just giving the rule number. But those old hands of the Forum that know me, know that I can be very methodical (it is just my profession creeping into my breakdown of basketball officiating plays) and I believe that the play being discussed lends itself to being broken down almost second-by-second, frame-by-frame because the number of rule sections that must be applied in order to get the correct call. Therefore, without further ado, I will address the following comments by other members of the Forum.

1) The first foul I see by B-10 against W-4 is at T = 0:10 while W-4 is still dribbling the ball. But I do not think that is the foul that we are discussing; I think that we would agree that we all would pass on the hand check foul.

2) W-4 ends her dribble by letting the ball come to rest in both of her hands while her left foot is on the floor and her right foot off the floor at 11.0 = T < 11.5.

3) I believe the foul the poster wants to discuss and the one we are discussing occurs at 0:11.5 = T < 12.0.

4) NFHS R4-S44-A2b2 says: "Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot if one foot is on the floor. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case."

5) NFHS R4-S44-A3b says: "Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal."

6) NFHS R4-S11-A1 says: "Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight."

7) NFHS R4-S11-A2 says: "If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or *stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight."

8) NFHS R4-S41-A3 says: "The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball."

9) (4) and (5) tells us that W-4 can end her dribble while her left foot is in contact with the court and her right foot is not in contact with the court. She can then jump off her left foot and land simultaneously on both feet. She can then jump off both feet to release the ball to either pass the ball or attempt a shot.

10) We also know that a player cannot shoot the ball while dribbling the ball. That means that a player dribbling the ball must stop her dribble in order to shoot the ball.

11) Combining (8), (9), and (10) tells us that W-4's shot started when she ended her dribble and ended when she released the ball. Therefore, by rule, W-4 was fouled by B-10 while in the act of shooting. This also applies to NCAA Men's/Women's. Some of you will say that the I am applying the NBA/WNBA rule to the NFHS and NCAA Men'/Women's rule. And while the wording of the NBA/WNBA rule is not the same as the NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rules, the application is the same.

MTD, Sr.
The place where this analysis, IMO, falls down is this:

In (9), the player can either shoot or pass at the end of the jump stop. I have no idea which she will do here, because she was fouled before the end of the jump stop.

End line throw in for me, too.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The place where this analysis, IMO, falls down is this:

In (9), the player can either shoot or pass at the end of the jump stop. I have no idea which she will do here, because she was fouled before the end of the jump stop.

End line throw in for me, too.
What he said. I am big about awarding shots to a player who is in their shooting motion but who maybe hasn't left the floor yet, but this one I can't see it. She is not clearly in a shooting motion when the foul occurs.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Before the shot for me. And I don't understand why that shirt is allowed in a high school game.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Way to over-analyze a simple block with the in-bounds spot being the endline.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Sometimes you just have to ref.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Before the shot for me. And I don't understand why that shirt is allowed in a high school game.
Simple, no one cares about these things.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Why would that make it easier unless you cannot click on the video directly to do the same. YouTube embedded videos are very easy to navigate. All you have to do is push on the video (with your mouse or touch screen) and the video stops and starts.

I only made a comment about it because to watch the video I either had to go to YouTube directly or I had to make the website smaller in my settings. Just kind of annoying and not a big deal. But not something most videos from YouTube require.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Simple, no one cares about these things.

Peace
Fair point. Around here, it would be dealt with quickly. That's what's expected here. Normally, I think the issue is a bit silly, especially when it's a player who's wearing an u/a shirt where all you see is a bit around the neckline. This play, however, is a blue player wearing white long sleeves while playing a white team.

I'd gladly shut that down, but if your area wants you to ignore it, have at it.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Fair point. Around here, it would be dealt with quickly. That's what's expected here. Normally, I think the issue is a bit silly, especially when it's a player who's wearing an u/a shirt where all you see is a bit around the neckline. This play, however, is a blue player wearing white long sleeves while playing a white team.

I did not say that people did not care about this here. We are asked to enforce those rules. But honestly, it is a pain in the behind. It is not something that is the thing most officials want to deal with either way. The only reason many do is because it will influence future playoff opportunities. Otherwise, I could give a darn. Why would I care about the color of a shirt? Does it influence the game? Can I still see the jersey? Heck if this was a problem during off-season games I could see this being a big concerned, but that is clearly not the case. This is strictly cosmetic which at the end of the day some of us just want to referee the game, not tell players what they cannot wear.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Yes, here it would be dealt with as soon as we saw it.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

The day after our interpreter, in a monthly board meeting, told us that enforcing the equipment color restrictions was not optional, I had a veteran official tell me that he didn't enforce the restrictions in his game because it was only a junior varsity game.

A few days later, on the first page of the newspaper's sports section, was a large above the fold photo from the biggest girls varsity game of the night (maybe of the entire season) in the entire state, officiated by another local board. Dark gray undershirt under a white jersey.
*ohhhh noooo!
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I have a push but agree.

Despite MTD giving his resume and dissertation on some of theses videos, I just don't see what he is seeing.

I award free throws as much or more than most of the folks I work with and in comparison with the other HS games I observe. I almost always give the benefit of the doubt to putting players on the line.

To me, this one is easy. Push on blue 10 (with the illegal shirt) and spot on the endline opposite the table.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
1. The player did not travel. It was a legal jump stop.
2. Continuous motion applies to try.
3.no significance unless foul by defense during interval which begins with habitual THROWING motion to start a try.
4. If opponent fouls AFTER player has started try for goal player can complete customary arm and foot movement.
5. A player must stop dribble before shooting it.
6. No shot EVER starts when a player ends her dribble. There ALWAYS must be something more.
7. No shot/try ever ends when she releases the ball.

What you are saying is a player cannot shoot without ending a dribble (which is true) Therefore, that is something that habitually precedes release of ball. That is also true. (JUST AS THE PLAYER WAKING UP IN THE AM. Cant shoot if sleeping)

You are declaring that player is in act because the jump stop happens before the act of shooting all the time. (Habitually precedes) The rule is that the ACT of shooting must happen FIRST and then the player can continue with foot movements.

I do not agree with your post rule wise Or simply watching the video. This isnt a close play. Endline throw in.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Jan 23, 2017 at 05:52pm.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I'm aware, it is just too darn big for a normal screen on this website.

Peace
It looks great on a 24" monitor.

I do appreciate the clarity of the videos also.

That said, I agree with the majority that I have the foul preceding the shooting motion. Endline spot.