The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Should I have whacked this coach?

I haven't been able to let this go since last night. A1 drives into the lane and B1 ties him up. Partner calls jump ball. I'm C in front of Coach A, who immediately jumps up and down yelling why??? I turn around and tell him "don't do that." He says "That was a bad call!" Maybe should have whacked there. Coach B says "That makes up for the last one on us. These guys have been bad all night." I regret not whacking him there. Any thoughts? My goal for the year has been to improve coach communication because people around here don't seem to serve up t's like I do and I'd really like to keep moving up, but I don't think I should have let this go.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 11:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Coach B should've been whacked. Without question.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm with Rich.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 03:43pm
Stubborn Member

Coach B gets a tech, and Coach A gets zero rope from here on out.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

If it's at end of gamecandcyou don't want to delay it..or if you just don't want give the T, tell him "and we're still the best team out here."

Or if you really want to zing him,

"I'm only as good as the players playing. They are only as good as their coach..NO wonder this is a shit game..."
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

i

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Sat Jan 14, 2017 at 06:51pm.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

It is great that you aim to "improve coach communications" as you stated; however, that sitch does not provide a best paradigm in which to do so mainly because it required you to adjudicate a situation [i.e., the sets of disdainful remarks by A and B Coaches] that can never be prevented from re- occuring--despite the rightousness of said call. Those coaches have "learned on their part" that you are not a ref to be taken umbrage with--in essence communicating via T. Yet, given the value of your aim to become better, may I ask you: I thought B Coach's remark was more acerbic despite him just saying 'one' remark as compared to two; what are your fundamental criteria for imposing a T?

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Sat Jan 14, 2017 at 06:50pm.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
It is great that you aim to "improve coach communications" as you stated; however, that sitch does not provide a useful paradigm in which to do so mainly because it requires you to adjudicate a situation [i.e., the sets of disdainful remarks by A and B Coaches] that can never be prevented from re- occuring. Those coaches have "learned on their part" that you are not a ref to be taken umbrage with. Yet, given the value of your aim to become better, may I ask you: I thought B Coach's remark was more acerbic despite him just saying 'one' remark as compared to two; what are your fundamental criteria for imposing a T?
Paradigm, disdainful,umbrage, acerbic,....U couldnt have learned that in Kansas. Speak English...Like your talking to a 6th grader please (for me) (That comes from "Philadelphia." Great movie. ).
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 07:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I would have told them both that the only way they could continue to coach the game was if they provided me with a list, including phone numbers, of all their team's hot moms.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Coach B gets a tech, and Coach A gets zero rope from here on out.
Pretty much this, although I'd be really tempted to whack a coach that talks about my partners that way.

My tolerance for crap from coaches has gone way down this year for whatever reason. My association as a whole lets coaches talk far too much. I for one don't think it's all that unreasonable for adults to behave like adults at a youth sporting event.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 12:32am
High Five Master

I've never minded a coach making a statement about a call. "That was a bad call" just said to me and not yelled is not worthy of my attention. Attacking personally i.e. what the B coach said, yep, issue the T. And I totally agree with the last poster about coaches talking to much. This is the only sport where coaches think they can talk non stop. If that happened in baseball, softball, volleyball at a scholastic level we would have ejections out the ying yang
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I've never minded a coach making a statement about a call. "That was a bad call" just said to me and not yelled is not worthy of my attention. Attacking personally i.e. what the B coach said, yep, issue the T. And I totally agree with the last poster about coaches talking to much. This is the only sport where coaches think they can talk non stop. If that happened in baseball, softball, volleyball at a scholastic level we would have ejections out the ying yang
If he says "That's a bad call" to my face after I've told him to stop jumping up and down in exasperation, he's getting whacked. If he turns and mutters it to his bench, then I'm probably ignoring it.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 09:35am
Stubborn Member

The other night during a game, while I was the center and standing in front of a team's bench, the coach said to one of his players "don't foul the second time, they'll see that. They didn't see the first foul, but they will see the second."

Which led to the following exchange...

Me: (without turning to look at the coach) "Coach, don't do that."
Coach: "Do what?"
Me: "Say something like that right in front of me."
Coach: "I can say what I want to my players."
Me: "Not right in front of me you can't."

This ended things because the ball was stolen and went on a fast break the other way.

I don't care whether the coach is yelling or talking in a normal tone of voice. I'm just as concerned about WHAT they say as I am in HOW they say it.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
The other night during a game, while I was the center and standing in front of a team's bench, the coach said to one of his players "don't foul the second time, they'll see that. They didn't see the first foul, but they will see the second."

Which led to the following exchange...

Me: (without turning to look at the coach) "Coach, don't do that."
Coach: "Do what?"
Me: "Say something like that right in front of me."
Coach: "I can say what I want to my players."
Me: "Not right in front of me you can't."

This ended things because the ball was stolen and went on a fast break the other way.

I don't care whether the coach is yelling or talking in a normal tone of voice. I'm just as concerned about WHAT they say as I am in HOW they say it.
"Oh, i saw the first foul, i just didnt call it on them because i dont like you....". Dont say that--you could say, "Well, i'd like to think id get the second one but the way things are going chances are i wont see that one either..."

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Jan 15, 2017 at 10:10am.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 10:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

A few centuries ago, I was working with a guy who, during a timeout, got yelled at by a coach about the difference in team fouls. The coach yelled something like, "How come we have so many fouls and they hardly have any?" He was obviously ticked off.

My partner answered, "Because their team hardly commits any fouls and your team commits a lot. I'm sure it's the coaching - or lack thereof."

The coach pretty much shut up after that.