The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 04:46am
Ok is the new good

Project Innocence

Girls Varsity tonight..very competitive game...Red coach starts in on me in the 1st quarter on a block/charge call and then a few minutes later on my partner block /charge that she made.

He was loud waving his arms and running his hands thru his hair. I told the Asst Coach you need to help your coach I can't have this behavior in the game.

About 5 minutes after speaking to Assistant I hear from bench area Those are 3 terrible calls..very loud the whole gym could hear it.

Thinking that it was head coach I tagged him and he said It was not me was guy in stands behind my bench! Chatted with my partner to get her thoughts and see if we should rescind it and she said no based on his previous behavior earlier in half.

He behaves rest of game a stays seated and he loses by one!

After game he chases me and my partner down as we exit the gym and threatens to report us to the commish and states kiss my ass fools!

Thoughts on these situations when coach sez you got the wrong guy?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Make 100% sure you get the right source. Though this is a common enough excuse, sounds like the coach was going to get T eventually.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

1) The HC is acting up. The HC needs to be addressed NOT the AC. IF in a game the AC is acting up the HC STILL would be the one to get addressed.
2) Report his after game behavior.

In other news, had a college game earlier this year where the AC was on the fence for a T. Heard very loudly "You guys need to read the rule book before you put on that uniform." I didn't even turn to him before I whistled and T'd. As soon as I did I realized it was the fan 3 rows behind him. I rescinded, apologized and put the ball in play.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:49am
High Five Master

Point of talking only to the HC is well put. I don't allow AC to carp at me so I wouldn't do it to him. Talk to HC only about this stuff.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Your situation is somewhat similar to one I had a few years ago during a BV game:

The first time I was in front of HC at the C, I reminded him we will only respond to questions asked in a professional manner - not statements or complaints (he had briefly, sarcastically, complained one time to that point). He said, "oh, that wasn't me it was the guy sitting right behind me in the stands." I looked over my shoulder at the guy and loudly told coach, "the next time we hear *anything* other than a respectful question from this area, it will be a technical foul on you. Our focus is on the players. We are not going to keep one eye on your bench area and one eye on the players."

Crickets the rest of the game.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

After game he chases me and my partner down as we exit the gym and threatens to report us to the commish and states kiss my ass fools!

First, I hope you've already written the report and sent it out.

Second, if you're not sure who said it, don't make the call. I've had a partner call and rescind a T like that when it turned out the comment came from one of the refs ready to work the next game sitting behind the team (summer ball).

In the end, I'm guessing it only hastened the process, but you could have rescinded and kept your short rope on him if you weren't sure.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Worth repeating that during the game you should address the HC's behavior directly with the HC. I would NEVER tell an AC "you need to help your coach" unless it was someone I had a long standing relationship with. Even then, you are best served dealing directly with the HC.

Secondly, do what you can to know for sure who made the comment before reacting. I've heard comments before that I thought came from the bench and have turned to get a quick peak to make sure. Its often a fan behind the bench.

IF it was in fact someone behind the bench and not the coach then I think its a poor excuse to use previous behavior from earlier in the half to not rescind the T.

None of us want to rescind a T but I've done it once or twice in my career. Probably at an AAU tourny but it happens.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I've been on the other side of the lines and had this happen to me. I had a fan standing directly behind our sidelines yell that's "a terrible 'f-ing' call." Out came the yellow flag. I walked up to the white hat that night, kind of laughing and said, "I don't mind the penalty, in fact we probably deserved that because our fans are idiots, but can you do me a favor and not it against me the rest of the game. I may need to bark later when you do screw something up." We both kind of laughed a little and the rest of the game went off without a hitch.

I've always thought as an official, its hard to police who said what behind you. My guess is that I've had a coach or two say something that warranted a T, but I am positive more times than not its a fan. Because of this, I've tried to lower my antennas slightly when I am not 100% sure who said it.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Girls Varsity tonight..very competitive game...Red coach starts in on me in the 1st quarter on a block/charge call and then a few minutes later on my partner block /charge that she made.

He was loud waving his arms and running his hands thru his hair. I told the Asst Coach you need to help your coach I can't have this behavior in the game.

About 5 minutes after speaking to Assistant I hear from bench area Those are 3 terrible calls..very loud the whole gym could hear it.

Thinking that it was head coach I tagged him and he said It was not me was guy in stands behind my bench! Chatted with my partner to get her thoughts and see if we should rescind it and she said no based on his previous behavior earlier in half.

He behaves rest of game a stays seated and he loses by one!

The antics after the game are the important thing, here. That coach would've been whacked eventually anyway and probably should've been before that.

Don't try to control a HC through an AC.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

This helps me a lot. He gave you warning signs he might do something. So when you guys have calls against him do a quick look over and see if he is going to boil over. Really can't call T's unless you 100% know its the HC/AC/etc. Because there are so many horrible fans who sit right behind their bench. Lesson learned I am sure you will do better. Good luck with the rest of your season.