The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 01:36pm
Often wrong never n doubt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 737
Correctable Error ?

A1 is supposed to be shooting 2 free throws in the double bonus. However the table informs the crew it is the 9th foul and 1-1 shots. A1 misses the first shot and it is rebounded by A2. A2 scores on the put back.

1. The horn to notify of the error sounds immediately after the ball goes through before B has a chance to grab and the official sounds the whistle.

2. The horn sounds as B1 had the ball OOB to inbound the ball and the official sounds the whistle.

How do we proceed?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
A1 is supposed to be shooting 2 free throws in the double bonus. However the table informs the crew it is the 9th foul and 1-1 shots. A1 misses the first shot and it is rebounded by A2. A2 scores on the put back.

1. The horn to notify of the error sounds immediately after the ball goes through before B has a chance to grab and the official sounds the whistle.

2. The horn sounds as B1 had the ball OOB to inbound the ball and the official sounds the whistle.

How do we proceed?
#1. Correctable. Clock started on the rebound...shot made...dead ball...recognized. Give A1 the FT. Give the ball to B after the FT.

#2. NOT Correctable. Clock started on the rebound...shot made...dead ball...throwin started.....live ball....recognized. Too late, B's ball.

A2's basket counts in either case.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
A1 is supposed to be shooting 2 free throws in the double bonus. However the table informs the crew it is the 9th foul and 1-1 shots. A1 misses the first shot and it is rebounded by A2. A2 scores on the put back.

1. The horn to notify of the error sounds immediately after the ball goes through before B has a chance to grab and the official sounds the whistle.

2. The horn sounds as B1 had the ball OOB to inbound the ball and the official sounds the whistle.

How do we proceed?
1. Correctable error. A1 shoots the second FT with the lane cleared. B resumes play with a throw-in and can run the end-line.

2. Too late to correct (assuming by your description the ball was "at the disposal" of B)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:46pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,466
Funny, this exact scenario was presented at an association meeting I attended Sunday night.

My question is what is the definition of "change of possession"? Is it the same as a team having control? Since Team A's try was over with, does that mean Team B must now be in possession?

I ask because the ball was not at Team B's disposal in situation #1, but according to the answers the ball going through the basket is a change of possession, therefore after administering the unmerited free throw we go to the POI.

However, if the ball going through the basket does NOT constitute a change of possession, then the rule states that we continue play from the unmerited free throw(s). Meaning Team A not only gets to shoot the unmerited free throw, but they also get the points for the made basket. Heck, they could get the rebound from an unsuccessful unmerited free throw try and score more points during the same possession.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Funny, this exact scenario was presented at an association meeting I attended Sunday night.

My question is what is the definition of "change of possession"? Is it the same as a team having control? Since Team A's try was over with, does that mean Team B must now be in possession?

I ask because the ball was not at Team B's disposal in situation #1, but according to the answers the ball going through the basket is a change of possession, therefore after administering the unmerited free throw we go to the POI.

However, if the ball going through the basket does NOT constitute a change of possession, then the rule states that we continue play from the unmerited free throw(s). Meaning Team A not only gets to shoot the unmerited free throw, but they also get the points for the made basket. Heck, they could get the rebound from an unsuccessful unmerited free throw try and score more points during the same possession.
"Possession" isn't all that clearly defined. I view it as which team either actually has to ball or is due to have the ball....as in a throwin due as a result of a made basket or a throwin or FTs as part of the penalty from an infraction.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Funny, this exact scenario was presented at an association meeting I attended Sunday night.

My question is what is the definition of "change of possession"? Is it the same as a team having control? Since Team A's try was over with, does that mean Team B must now be in possession?

I ask because the ball was not at Team B's disposal in situation #1, but according to the answers the ball going through the basket is a change of possession, therefore after administering the unmerited free throw we go to the POI.

However, if the ball going through the basket does NOT constitute a change of possession, then the rule states that we continue play from the unmerited free throw(s). Meaning Team A not only gets to shoot the unmerited free throw, but they also get the points for the made basket. Heck, they could get the rebound from an unsuccessful unmerited free throw try and score more points during the same possession.
I think you meant MERITED.
__________________
If you ain't first, you're LAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 03:02pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
"Possession" isn't all that clearly defined. I view it as which team either actually has to ball or is due to have the ball....as in a throwin due as a result of a made basket or a throwin or FTs as part of the penalty from an infraction.
That makes sense, I just wish they wouldn't use a word or phrase without defining it. Or else use a word or phrase, such as team control, instead. Of course... are we surprised by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I think you meant MERITED.
Umm... yeah. Oops.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shot clock error- correctable error? mutantducky Basketball 11 Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:35am
Correctable Error ? JMUplayer Basketball 9 Wed Nov 26, 2014 06:27pm
Correctable Error Toren Basketball 2 Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22am
Correctable Error The_Rookie Basketball 55 Mon Oct 27, 2014 04:47pm
How soon on a correctable error? Brick43 Basketball 7 Sat Jan 28, 2012 01:28pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1