The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 01:36pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Correctable Error ?

A1 is supposed to be shooting 2 free throws in the double bonus. However the table informs the crew it is the 9th foul and 1-1 shots. A1 misses the first shot and it is rebounded by A2. A2 scores on the put back.

1. The horn to notify of the error sounds immediately after the ball goes through before B has a chance to grab and the official sounds the whistle.

2. The horn sounds as B1 had the ball OOB to inbound the ball and the official sounds the whistle.

How do we proceed?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
A1 is supposed to be shooting 2 free throws in the double bonus. However the table informs the crew it is the 9th foul and 1-1 shots. A1 misses the first shot and it is rebounded by A2. A2 scores on the put back.

1. The horn to notify of the error sounds immediately after the ball goes through before B has a chance to grab and the official sounds the whistle.

2. The horn sounds as B1 had the ball OOB to inbound the ball and the official sounds the whistle.

How do we proceed?
#1. Correctable. Clock started on the rebound...shot made...dead ball...recognized. Give A1 the FT. Give the ball to B after the FT.

#2. NOT Correctable. Clock started on the rebound...shot made...dead ball...throwin started.....live ball....recognized. Too late, B's ball.

A2's basket counts in either case.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post

How do we proceed?
1. Correctable error. A1 shoots the second FT with the lane cleared. B resumes play with a throw-in and can run the end-line.

2. Too late to correct (assuming by your description the ball was "at the disposal" of B)
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:46pm
Stubborn Member

Funny, this exact scenario was presented at an association meeting I attended Sunday night.

My question is what is the definition of "change of possession"? Is it the same as a team having control? Since Team A's try was over with, does that mean Team B must now be in possession?

I ask because the ball was not at Team B's disposal in situation #1, but according to the answers the ball going through the basket is a change of possession, therefore after administering the unmerited free throw we go to the POI.

However, if the ball going through the basket does NOT constitute a change of possession, then the rule states that we continue play from the unmerited free throw(s). Meaning Team A not only gets to shoot the unmerited free throw, but they also get the points for the made basket. Heck, they could get the rebound from an unsuccessful unmerited free throw try and score more points during the same possession.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Funny, this exact scenario was presented at an association meeting I attended Sunday night.

My question is what is the definition of "change of possession"? Is it the same as a team having control? Since Team A's try was over with, does that mean Team B must now be in possession?

I ask because the ball was not at Team B's disposal in situation #1, but according to the answers the ball going through the basket is a change of possession, therefore after administering the unmerited free throw we go to the POI.

However, if the ball going through the basket does NOT constitute a change of possession, then the rule states that we continue play from the unmerited free throw(s). Meaning Team A not only gets to shoot the unmerited free throw, but they also get the points for the made basket. Heck, they could get the rebound from an unsuccessful unmerited free throw try and score more points during the same possession.
"Possession" isn't all that clearly defined. I view it as which team either actually has to ball or is due to have the ball....as in a throwin due as a result of a made basket or a throwin or FTs as part of the penalty from an infraction.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

I think you meant MERITED.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 03:02pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
"Possession" isn't all that clearly defined. I view it as which team either actually has to ball or is due to have the ball....as in a throwin due as a result of a made basket or a throwin or FTs as part of the penalty from an infraction.
That makes sense, I just wish they wouldn't use a word or phrase without defining it. Or else use a word or phrase, such as team control, instead. Of course... are we surprised by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I think you meant MERITED.
Umm... yeah. Oops.