View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Funny, this exact scenario was presented at an association meeting I attended Sunday night.

My question is what is the definition of "change of possession"? Is it the same as a team having control? Since Team A's try was over with, does that mean Team B must now be in possession?

I ask because the ball was not at Team B's disposal in situation #1, but according to the answers the ball going through the basket is a change of possession, therefore after administering the unmerited free throw we go to the POI.

However, if the ball going through the basket does NOT constitute a change of possession, then the rule states that we continue play from the unmerited free throw(s). Meaning Team A not only gets to shoot the unmerited free throw, but they also get the points for the made basket. Heck, they could get the rebound from an unsuccessful unmerited free throw try and score more points during the same possession.
"Possession" isn't all that clearly defined. I view it as which team either actually has to ball or is due to have the ball....as in a throwin due as a result of a made basket or a throwin or FTs as part of the penalty from an infraction.