The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:30pm
The old new guy

Made shot and simultaneous off ball foul

Saw this play: A5 is posting up on the block with B5 defending. A1 dribbles just opposite side of the lane and begins a shot attempt. B5 sees the attempt beginning and pushes A5 with arm extended and displaces him a foot or so in order to gain rebounding position. Lead blows the push during the attempt, which A1 makes. Officials huddle to discuss quickly and award the shot attempt plus A ball baseline spot for the foul penalty. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by diehardmason; Sun Jan 08, 2017 at 11:00pm.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardmason View Post
Saw this play: A5 is posting up on the block with B5 defending. A1 dribbles just opposite side of the lane and begins a shot attempt. A5 sees the attempt beginning and pushes B5 with arm extended and displaces him a foot or so in order to gain rebounding position. Lead blows the push during the attempt, which A1 makes. Officials huddle to discuss quickly and award the shot attempt plus A ball baseline spot for the foul penalty. Is that correct?

Team A shoots. While ball is in flight, A fouls B. Shot goes in.

Why would A get the ball out of bounds?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had the foul switched.

Continuous motion does not apply because this is a Team Control Foul and give the ball to Team B at the nearest spot of the foul.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Jan 08, 2017 at 10:44pm.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I think you're misreading the OP.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

4-11

Continuous motion rule.

If there is a foul by the offense (team A) before A1 releases the try the ball becomes dead immediately. No goal. If A1 has released the try before the foul by A2 occurs, ball not dead. basket will count if it goes.

If the defense fouls after A1 begins trying motion the ball does not become dead even if still in A1 hands. He gets to complete the motion/try.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ok so my confusion then is whether or not the ball is in flight. OP is saying the ball is not in flight yet, correct?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:50pm
Stubborn Member

"Lead blows the push during the attempt"

Not "after" the attempt.... "during". The foul on A5 causes the ball to be dead, so the shot never happened.

4-11-3 continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:01pm
The old new guy

Made shot and simultaneous off ball foul

Let me correct a mistake as I did edit it just now: B5 fouls A5 DURING (airborne shooter) A1 shot attempt. Sorry for the confusion.

The defender fouls an offensive player during the offensive players shot attempt. A1 was air

Last edited by diehardmason; Sun Jan 08, 2017 at 11:04pm.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
"Lead blows the push during the attempt"

Not "after" the attempt.... "during". The foul on A5 causes the ball to be dead, so the shot never happened.

4-11-3 continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.
Bryan,
Why do you think "during the attempt" means a foul by the offense makes the ball dead? If I'm in the Act of shooting and I release the ball it is still "during the attempt." If A2 fouls after release ball is not dead. The OP saying "during attempt" doesn't mean to me that the ball is still in shooters hands. It's not entirely clear which is why I mentioned both parts of 4-11
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:04pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Bryan,
Why do you think "during the attempt" means a foul by the offense makes the ball dead? If I'm in the Act of shooting and I release the ball it is still "during the attempt." If A2 fouls after release ball is not dead. The OP saying "during attempt" doesn't mean to me that the ball is still in shooters hands. It's not entirely clear which is why I mentioned both parts of 4-11
Okay, good point. I read it as if the ball hadn't left the shooter's hand. But you're right.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Okay, good point. I read it as if the ball hadn't left the shooter's hand. But you're right.
Try begins when habitual shooting motion etc starts. It ends when it goes in or certain to be missed etc. So "during" attempt can be while A1 still has ball or after he releases it etc.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Let me correct a mistake as I did edit it just now: B5 fouls A5 DURING (airborne shooter) A1 shot attempt. Sorry for the confusion.

The defender fouls an offensive player during the offensive players shot attempt. A1 was air

OK, well then continuous motion applies as this is a foul on the opponent of the shooting team.

You give the ball back to Team A (as I stated originally) by either bonus FTs or ball out of bounds to Team A.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Jan 08, 2017 at 11:21pm.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, that makes a big difference....if the defense fouls "during the attempt" that's all we need to know. Whether he has released ball or not doesn't matter.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you using the term "airborne shooter" correctly?
An airborne shooter is a player which has released the ball on a try for goal and not yet returned to the floor.
It is unclear from your description whether A1 has released the try or not. Of course, the ruling for the defensive foul is the same, as a couple of others have pointed out.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

so let's say:

A1 jumps and releases shot;

while A1 is still airborne, B5 pushes A5; official signals foul (team B's 6th);

before A1 returns to the ground, B1 slides his hips into A1's legs and fouls him (team B's 7th);

A1's try is unsuccessful.

After A1's free-throws, does A get the ball nearest to B5's foul because B5's foul was the 6th team foul? Or does A5 shoot 1 & 1 because B has 7 fouls by the time we're dealing with B5's push?