The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A1 puts up a long 2. While the ball is in the air, A2 pushes B1, and I call a foul on A2 (we can debate whether I should have or had not later!).

I turn to the table and say "Foul on A2, no shot, blue ball." About two seconds after the ball has been put into play, I realize the basket should have counteds . What do you do, and how long is something like this correctable. (I'll let you know what I did later.)
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

if the shot was released before the foul occurred, the basket counts. then after you came to a realization that the 2 points should have counted, the points can be corrected at any time of the game, and that time of correction ends when your jurisdiction ends when you leave the visual confines of the court. all it is a scoring error, which can be corrected at anytime, if im not mistaken.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
then after you came to a realization that the 2 points should have counted, the points can be corrected at any time of the game, and that time of correction ends when your jurisdiction ends when you leave the visual confines of the court. all it is a scoring error, which can be corrected at anytime, if im not mistaken.
Not true. You're confusing a scorebook error with a correctable error. This is a correctable error, not a scorebook error. It can be corrected at the next dead ball. If you don't correct it then, it's too late.

2-10-1e, 2
Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.

In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 21st, 2002 at 10:09 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
error with a correctable error. This is a correctable error, not a scorebook error. It can be corrected at the next dead ball. If you don't correct it then, it's too late.
Just to add to BktBallRef's comments.

A scorebook error is when the book records something differently than the officials indicate (different number of points, count or cancel a basket), forget to mark something in the book or if they add up the numbers wrong. These can be corrected at any time.

If such an error is discovered in conjunction with a possible correctable error (wrong number of fouls is correct), the book can always be corrected but the correctable error may or may not be based on the correctable error rule.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

i wasnt aware that it was a correctable error situation. i am aware of correctable errors. i konw a time frame exists, which is a situation that is correctable until the ball becomes live a second time. after it becomes live a second time, its not correctable anymore right?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:12pm
Administrator

Talking

Quote:
i wasnt aware that it was a correctable error situation. i am aware of correctable errors. i konw a time frame exists, which is a situation that is correctable until the ball becomes live a second time. after it becomes live a second time, its not correctable anymore right?

Josh, shame on you, I taught you better than that.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Josh, shame on you, I taught you better than that. [/B]
I'll bet he calls a mean "false-double simultaneous multiple foul",though.:
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I'll bet he calls a mean "false-double simultaneous multiple foul",though.: [/B]
i wouldnt even know where to begin on calling something like that.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I certainly recognized the error at/before the first dead ball. My problem - I didn't tell the captains.

It was that horrible 3-on-3 tournament with messed up rules. I was in front of the scorer and I told her to give white two points. Blue was running a play, though, and killing the play (even on a rebound) would have hurt the teams as there were only a few seconds left in the half. I then gathered the captains at halftime and explained what was going on. That was not fun!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:44am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I'll bet he calls a mean "false-double simultaneous multiple foul",though.:
i wouldnt even know where to begin on calling something like that. [/B]

I am going to embarass Josh, but he took my OhioHSAA basketball officiating class in Fall 2000, and is a good young official. Its all right Josh even I still kick a play every millineum or two.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

hey mark, thast exactly why i put the time and effort into becoming the best official i can possibly be, by belong to this forum, as well as purchasing phamplets and referee magazine as well. i finally got my first varsity game this year in michigan, so i guess all the hard work has paid off hey mark, do u know of any good camps that i could possibly attend this summer? email me please with some information. thanks alot and hope with the end of the season coming, we will all finish it off strong. take care.