The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:50pm
Stubborn Member

"Lead blows the push during the attempt"

Not "after" the attempt.... "during". The foul on A5 causes the ball to be dead, so the shot never happened.

4-11-3 continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
"Lead blows the push during the attempt"

Not "after" the attempt.... "during". The foul on A5 causes the ball to be dead, so the shot never happened.

4-11-3 continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.
Bryan,
Why do you think "during the attempt" means a foul by the offense makes the ball dead? If I'm in the Act of shooting and I release the ball it is still "during the attempt." If A2 fouls after release ball is not dead. The OP saying "during attempt" doesn't mean to me that the ball is still in shooters hands. It's not entirely clear which is why I mentioned both parts of 4-11
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:04pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Bryan,
Why do you think "during the attempt" means a foul by the offense makes the ball dead? If I'm in the Act of shooting and I release the ball it is still "during the attempt." If A2 fouls after release ball is not dead. The OP saying "during attempt" doesn't mean to me that the ball is still in shooters hands. It's not entirely clear which is why I mentioned both parts of 4-11
Okay, good point. I read it as if the ball hadn't left the shooter's hand. But you're right.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Okay, good point. I read it as if the ball hadn't left the shooter's hand. But you're right.
Try begins when habitual shooting motion etc starts. It ends when it goes in or certain to be missed etc. So "during" attempt can be while A1 still has ball or after he releases it etc.