The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Common Sense is your friend

I do not really see myself starting a 9am Freshman game with a technical foul for an administrative book issue.

That said. Do what is expected by the assinger and powers that be. Just do your best to know what those expectations really are.

In my neck of the woods you don't want to be the guy that calls this T. If you want your schedule to advance.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I do not really see myself starting a 9am Freshman game with a technical foul for an administrative book issue.

That said. Do what is expected by the assinger and powers that be. Just do your best to know what those expectations really are.

In my neck of the woods you don't want to be the guy that calls this T. If you want your schedule to advance.
Along the lines of T selection, how do y'all look at dunking in warmups? JV league game, after the ref crew was on the floor, a couple of those dunks that are loud enough to hear, with no call. That surprised me (though I frankly think the no dunking rule is a bit silly, but that's a separate issue) -- do y'all "not see" those even if you're on the court?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Along the lines of T selection, how do y'all look at dunking in warmups? JV league game, after the ref crew was on the floor, a couple of those dunks that are loud enough to hear, with no call. That surprised me (though I frankly think the no dunking rule is a bit silly, but that's a separate issue) -- do y'all "not see" those even if you're on the court?
Nope. Someone throws one down, we're starting with free throws.

And no, we don't do the silly "blow the whistle as we're entering the floor thing" either.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And no, we don't do the silly "blow the whistle as we're entering the floor thing" either.
I've seen a few reference this on here. Is this a mechanic somewhere????
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Yes.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 05:31pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I've had games where teams are late. Nothing we can do about it and there's often nothing the team can do about it...bus trouble...traffic...whatever. Never had a technical because of stuff like that. Stuff happens.
This. Many of our middle schools have a 4:00 start time. As such, a bus that gets caught in unexpected traffic, accident, construction, etc. has meant I've had a couple of games where the visiting team doesn't get into the gym until 3:50 or so.

When that's happened, I wait for the visiting coach to get situated and ask if he or she has a roster ready to give to the home scorer for filling out the official book. Each time, the coach has been happy to oblige right away, so I've seen no need for a T if the coach provides a roster as soon as possible in these instances.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Stars At Night Are Big And Bright ...

Quote:
... we don't do the silly "blow the whistle as we're entering the floor thing" either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I believe that it's in Texas.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
9AM freshmen?

Odds of having an administrative technical around here for something like this at that level on a Saturday morning are exactly zero. I'd consider myself fortunate that everyone is in place BY 9AM for one of those.

Then again, I have never seen a "freshman rivalry" game or an official who knew a school's freshman team's record before, either.
+1 and lol
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As stated above, my partner was looking for any excuse to not assess a technical foul. He got what he was looking for, and we moved on.

Let's say, though, that the conditions are "right" to assess the technical. The visitors coach knows the rule and wants the tech enforced.

You could...enforce the technical, knowing that the coach wanting the tech is correct by rule. Or, you could tell him, no coach, it's a freshman game on a Saturday morning, we're not going to enforce the rule.

Where I work, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at every level. Don't know why we would ignore this rule just because it's a freshman game.
"sure coach we'll go by the book. Make sure you don't step a foot outside the coaches box because by rule its a T."
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 08:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
"sure coach we'll go by the book. Make sure you don't step a foot outside the coaches box because by rule its a T."
In many field houses or side gyms, there are no coaching boxes around here

Peace
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As stated above, my partner was looking for any excuse to not assess a technical foul. He got what he was looking for, and we moved on.

Let's say, though, that the conditions are "right" to assess the technical. The visitors coach knows the rule and wants the tech enforced.

You could...enforce the technical, knowing that the coach wanting the tech is correct by rule. Or, you could tell him, no coach, it's a freshman game on a Saturday morning, we're not going to enforce the rule.

Where I work, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at every level. Don't know why we would ignore this rule just because it's a freshman game.
Sounds like your partner is full of himself and takes 9am freshman games way too seriously.

I won't even begin to apply this to a 7pm varsity contest because this would NEVER happen in that situation. I hate to use the word "never", but let's be realistic. This would never happen. That's why this coach and his players are involved in a 9am Saturday game.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 10:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Sounds like your partner is full of himself and takes 9am freshman games way too seriously.

I won't even begin to apply this to a 7pm varsity contest because this would NEVER happen in that situation. I hate to use the word "never", but let's be realistic. This would never happen. That's why this coach and his players are involved in a 9am Saturday game.
This.

Around here FR games are assigned by the schools. Do stuff like this and you'll have plenty of Saturday mornings free going forward.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I would have figured out which clock we needed to use and penalize (or not) from there. I don't want to get a rep as the hard ass who gives a bunch of T's but this is a rule that has been around since clocks were invented. I've stopped being lenient on this stuff and with uniform stuff. For me, I get sick of hearing the excuse that " the refs the other night didn't care/make us fix it/penalize" and I have decided that I won't be the reason a ref hears that excuse down the road.
I like this response.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
9AM freshmen?

Odds of having an administrative technical around here for something like this at that level on a Saturday morning are exactly zero. I'd consider myself fortunate that everyone is in place BY 9AM for one of those.

Then again, I have never seen a "freshman rivalry" game or an official who knew a school's freshman team's record before, either.
He may have known the teams but yes. I'd be happy everyone was in place to play as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
No, dunking in warmups is entirely different than an administrative issue like the one in this thread. A slight touching of the rim may get a "dont do that again" but "loud enough to hear" pre-game dunks are easy and automatic. Should never get to the point of multiple.

That said, there are at least 2 prominent state level officials around here who have basically stated they will never start one of their games with a T for dunking. I'm more lenient than some on many things but I don't share that mindset.