The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Inbound after made basket question- throws in before stepping out.

This happened in 2 games recently. After the offense makes a shot, the team now going on offense, goes to take the ball out of bounds, but before stepping completely out of play, throws it in. Since he was not out of play, would this be a throw in violation? Couldn't this just be a player tossing to another player, who will be inbounding? In the first case, it was a youth player who did not step out or on the line. In the 2nd case, the player stepped on the line, and a little out of play with one foot, while throwing it in. What is the right call here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.reppermund View Post
This happened in 2 games recently. After the offense makes a shot, the team now going on offense, goes to take the ball out of bounds, but before stepping completely out of play, throws it in. Since he was not out of play, would this be a throw in violation? Couldn't this just be a player tossing to another player, who will be inbounding? In the first case, it was a youth player who did not step out or on the line. In the 2nd case, the player stepped on the line, and a little out of play with one foot, while throwing it in. What is the right call here.

I would look at the player throwing in and player catching. If the original player grabs ball and happens to have foot on line, then tosses to other kid who is approaching him and it looks like they want him to throw it in I'll hold whistle. Same if kid is invoubds and tosses to player. If I see the player who catches head up floor I will call the violation.

All of this is relative to the age. If your talking young grade school I'd help them. Send them back. High school, violation as soon as they show me it isn't a toss to other player to throw it in. If the thrower is already OOB and he tosses it to other kid who is heading to him and that player steps OOB not much choice but violation unless young grade school.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Jan 11, 2017 at 10:29pm.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I would look at the player throwing in and player catching. If the original player grabs ball and happens to have foot on line, then tosses to other kid who is approaching him and it looks like they want him to throw it in I'll hold whistle. Same if kid is invoubds and tosses to player. If I see the player who catches head up floor I will call the violation.

All of this is relative to the age. If your talking young grade school I'd help them. Send them back. High school, violation as soon as they show me it isn't a toss to other player to throw it in. If the thrower is already OOB and he tosses it to other kid who is heading to him and that player steps OOB not much choice but violation unless young grade school.
I'll second what Big Cat said.

Welcome to the forum Marc!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Line ???

Quote:
... the player stepped on the line, and a little out of play with one foot, while throwing it in.
Remember, on the line is out of bounds, over the line is inbounds. A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Remember, on the line is out of bounds, over the line is inbounds. A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line.

Billy, yes I do know that. I think what made me wonder was since in one of the cases, he never stepped on the line or out, and his intent was to throw in, has he violated, since he never left the field of play, after the made basket. Violation?

Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Violation ...

Quote:
... he never stepped on the line or out, and his intent was to throw in, has he violated, since he never left the field of play, after the made basket. Violation?
Yes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

OK, what do you have if player clearly headed "north" OOB after an opponent's made basket, flips it back "south" to an opponent headed up court?

In other words, not yet fully OOB but inbounding the ball while momentum is taking him OOB. One foot either in play still, or still in air while stepping into OOB territory.

This is usually done casually, without back court pressure, of course, and often when it's late in the game or not a close score. I'm not talking about jumping the gun to start a fastbreak, either.

I'd say, like Big Cat, it can depend on the age and level of the players. Young 'uns get a pass (and maybe a caution). Men's league-no bother. But where should one, ahem, draw the line?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I like the old caseplay that basically said once it becomes apparent that the throw-in team will not make a legal throw-in to call the violation(5 second).
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I like the old caseplay that basically said once it becomes apparent that the throw-in team will not make a legal throw-in to call the violation(5 second).
Not a 5 second violation, it's a violation for not being out of bounds for the throw-in.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Play 1: immediate violation once you realize this was not throwing to another player to perform the throw-in.

Play 2: I need more information to clarify where the player was when he threw it. Was his foot completely out of bounds (to include being on the line) or was part of it touching in bounds? If that foot was OOB, where was the other foot?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
In other words, not yet fully OOB but inbounding the ball while momentum is taking him OOB. One foot either in play still, or still in air while stepping into OOB territory.
It depends a little on what you mean by "fully OOB". As long as one foot is OOB and the other is not touching inbounds, the play is legal. OR, if the player jumped form the foot that was OOB, the play is legal.

On the rest -- I will look at what I need to look at. What I need to look at depends on the game and the time / score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
It's not a 5-second violation.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Not in that case play.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

There was an interpretation a few years ago that gave an option for either continuing a 5 second count or calling a violation immediately. I think the first one is problematic for many reasons not needing to be stated. The second one is what I do regardless of level. I do not feel the need to help with an obvious violation. I believe this was in the NF Preseason Guidebook where this was specifically discussed. Also the NCAA has addressed this in video as well.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There was an interpretation a few years ago that gave an option for either continuing a 5 second count or calling a violation immediately.
I don't think that was it.

I think the discussion here was (a) wait 5 seconds; (b) bring them back and have them do it right; or, (c) immediate violation.

NFHS came out and said C.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think that was it.

I think the discussion here was (a) wait 5 seconds; (b) bring them back and have them do it right; or, (c) immediate violation.

NFHS came out and said C.
There was a write up about this advocating those. But then again that was probably 8-10 years ago as well. It was when the IHSA started giving these out to us instead of the rulebooks every year.

Peace