The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 06:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
You guys are way too concerned about what time the game is and on what day.

Apply the situation to a 7 pm varsity start with no game before it.
Well there are differences in a 7pm varsity game. There usually is a game before that game. And the schools have been there for some time. So yes I would treat it differently as there is usually plenty of time put on the clock and the teams are already there long before the game starts. A game in the morning on a Saturday, sometimes you have issues of the team getting there. So I would like to even know why the coach was coming out so late and it is possible that someone not authorized started the clock without anyone knowing. The actual time of the game is relevant IMO.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well there are differences in a 7pm varsity game. There usually is a game before that game. And the schools have been there for some time. So yes I would treat it differently as there is usually plenty of time put on the clock and the teams are already there long before the game starts. A game in the morning on a Saturday, sometimes you have issues of the team getting there. So I would like to even know why the coach was coming out so late and it is possible that someone not authorized started the clock without anyone knowing. The actual time of the game is relevant IMO.

Peace
As my partner said to me when he came back to stand by me across from the table, he was looking for any way possible to avoid the technical. He was very glad to look at the clock and see that the coach was indeed on time for the 9 AM start.

I've had games where teams are late. Nothing we can do about it and there's often nothing the team can do about it...bus trouble...traffic...whatever. Never had a technical because of stuff like that. Stuff happens.

What was odd in this situation was that it was the home team that was late getting to the court and the home coach that was nearly late with the book.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 09:36pm
TODO: creative title here

Even if i was inclined to call a T in this situation in a freshman game (and I'm not, for reasons previously mentioned by several posters previously)...

Home book is the official book. Players were listed in the home (official) book that the coach was carrying with him, and the visitors had their roster provided to the scorer (well, to the scorer's table, at least, and there's NO FSCKING WAY I'd punish the visiting team for not having their names in the home team's book at the 10:00 mark in a situation like this). So there's nothing to penalize.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Even if i was inclined to call a T in this situation in a freshman game (and I'm not, for reasons previously mentioned by several posters previously)...

Home book is the official book. Players were listed in the home (official) book that the coach was carrying with him, and the visitors had their roster provided to the scorer (well, to the scorer's table, at least, and there's NO FSCKING WAY I'd punish the visiting team for not having their names in the home team's book at the 10:00 mark in a situation like this). So there's nothing to penalize.
I have no idea whether or not the visitors in this situation had their roster at the scorer's table. Assuming they did, obviously they wouldn't be penalized. That wasn't even a point of conversation.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 09:54pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I have no idea whether or not the visitors in this situation had their roster at the scorer's table. Assuming they did, obviously they wouldn't be penalized. That wasn't even a point of conversation.
If you ignore the type of game this is...

The point is that since the official scorer is likely to be the person with the home book, there are no grounds for a technical foul in the first place. Unless you have proof the visiting team didn't have their roster and starters available to give to the official scorer prior to the ten minute mark.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Toss it up, work the game.

Too much concern over penalizing someone. It's 9am on a Saturday, it's a freshman game. Pick your battles better.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Toss it up, work the game.

Too much concern over penalizing someone. It's 9am on a Saturday, it's a freshman game. Pick your battles better.
As stated above, my partner was looking for any excuse to not assess a technical foul. He got what he was looking for, and we moved on.

Let's say, though, that the conditions are "right" to assess the technical. The visitors coach knows the rule and wants the tech enforced.

You could...enforce the technical, knowing that the coach wanting the tech is correct by rule. Or, you could tell him, no coach, it's a freshman game on a Saturday morning, we're not going to enforce the rule.

Where I work, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at every level. Don't know why we would ignore this rule just because it's a freshman game.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
As stated above, my partner was looking for any excuse to not assess a technical foul. He got what he was looking for, and we moved on.

Let's say, though, that the conditions are "right" to assess the technical. The visitors coach knows the rule and wants the tech enforced.

You could...enforce the technical, knowing that the coach wanting the tech is correct by rule. Or, you could tell him, no coach, it's a freshman game on a Saturday morning, we're not going to enforce the rule.

Where I work, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at every level. Don't know why we would ignore this rule just because it's a freshman game.
There are a lot of assignors in this area that do not want you to be T'ing up everyone for book stuff most of the time either. Again, I really would not care about if they had a certain amount of time, I think I would find a reason to not have that issue. Heck you can always stop the clock on the game clock until you have both teams on the floor. Do everything not to have that situation. It just starts the game in a bad way and then you have to debate how right you were for several minutes. Not worth it most of the time at that level. The only way I would do that is if the conference had a policy and they just did not follow it. But sometimes you do not have even 10 minutes on the clock so you are reaching for the enforcement of this rule.

And I would like to know who wants uniform rules enforced at all levels. Mostly the people I work for say we are to be "technical" at the varsity level. Do what we can to allow them to play at the other levels.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And I would like to know who wants uniform rules enforced at all levels. Mostly the people I work for say we are to be "technical" at the varsity level. Do what we can to allow them to play at the other levels.

Peace
Mostly on the girls' side, but it's becoming an issue on the boys side as well with the prevalence of "tights" and long sleeves. This is what we've got an eye out for in the pregame, right? Taking care of uniform issues before the game starts so that we can just play when it's time.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Mostly on the girls' side, but it's becoming an issue on the boys side as well with the prevalence of "tights" and long sleeves. This is what we've got an eye out for in the pregame, right? Taking care of uniform issues before the game starts so that we can just play when it's time.
This is not a uniform issue, this is a book issue. And unless we are talking about things like tight colors or uniform colors, we are often ask to not nit pick something like what color jersey is worn if that is all the school has. Like if a home team had only gold jerseys, I probably would not do a thing if that is all they had. They are often passed down those uniforms and not the ones that are bought in the first round.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Here is your answer...
Quote:
If that's what your boss wants, why even ask us?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is not a uniform issue, this is a book issue. And unless we are talking about things like tight colors or uniform colors, we are often ask to not nit pick something like what color jersey is worn if that is all the school has. Like if a home team had only gold jerseys, I probably would not do a thing if that is all they had. They are often passed down those uniforms and not the ones that are bought in the first round.

Peace

Right, of course. I know what you mean. And you're right, I am talking about accessory colors and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Here is your answer...

If that's what your boss wants, why even ask us?

I asked merely out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

If it's at the 9 minute mark rather than the 10, I'm not calling it and I will let the coach know that as well. It's Saturday morning (or Monday night), we're going to be relaxed on that a bit. I can tell you for a fact the subvarsity assigner in my area would expect as much, and any coaches who want otherwise are new. If he pushes, I'll just advise him that at some point he's going to appreciate that approach from the officials in our area.

If we're actually delaying the start of the game because of it, I'll call the T and move on.

As for your last sentence, there are other rules we (in my area) are more lax on for sub-varsity games, and they're all of this nature. White uniforms for home team, for example. Double (or illegal) numbers "fixed" with masking tape or duct tape.

You said your partner was looking for an excuse not to call the T when the coach is 1 minute late, the only thing I'd need is the fact that it's a freshman game (Saturday morning is irrelevant, mostly). No one here wants that called in those games.

Your area may be different. And the rule is "ten minutes before scheduled start time." If the game is schedule to start at 9 and the home team isn't on the court by 15 til, I'm making sure the clock gets re-set.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm all for being on-time, but what if the shoes were reversed. What if you got caught in traffic and were not on the court at 15, should the school start docking your pay?

I'm enforcing this rule if the coach is going to be idiot about it, such as not giving his roster until the last minute for some not so special reason, but as someone else stated, there are bigger hills to do die on.