The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Being sure of getting your offender and shooter

What mental and or physical method do you use to be sure that you get the correct player:

A) who committed the foul,

B) who was fouled - the shooter?

And how do you communicate that info to your partner or partners?

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 01:56pm
Stubborn Member

I look to my partner and point to the shooter while saying the player's number.

"25 is the shooter."

A for the player that committed the foul I have no tricks. Lol, sorry

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 02:02pm
TODO: creative title here

My routine:

Tweet
Fist in the air
Close-down on the play if necessary (as C or T, rarely if I'm the L)
"White 31, Hold. (make hold signal) 24 is the shooter"
Go to foul reporting area.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 02:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Ended That Experiment ...

After my preliminary signal, "Blue. Twenty-one. Push.", I point to the shooter and state "Shooter". Years ago, I tried stating, and remembering, both numbers, but would often mix up the numbers on the way to the reporting area..
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 02:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

If I am the calling official, I might call out the shooter's number if it is clearly not obvious they are going to be shooting, like a rebounding foul.

If I am the non-calling official I know the foul that was called, I will point out the shooter for a longer time to identify to my other partner that is our shooter.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. I'm doing a lot of games with newer officials, and I'm having a difficult time getting them to consistently get the numbers. I've been thinking that my method might be so personalized that it's hard for them to adopt. But, your comments are very much what I do and what I've been telling them.
Apparently, they just need to practice.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Thanks, guys. I'm doing a lot of games with newer officials, and I'm having a difficult time getting them to consistently get the numbers. I've been thinking that my method might be so personalized that it's hard for them to adopt. But, your comments are very much what I do and what I've been telling them.
Tell them to slow down. Be patient before going to the table to report.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 10:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe you just ask them who is the shooter? Then they might realize how important that is or get them the habit of knowing. You can also make this a pregame item and tell them, "Make sure we get the shooter's numbers, especially on non-shooting situations." But as anything, they have to slow down and process everything and realize the importance of this when you are not looking at the call they made.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe you just ask them who is the shooter? Then they might realize how important that is or get them the habit of knowing. You can also make this a pregame item and tell them, "Make sure we get the shooter's numbers, especially on non-shooting situations." But as anything, they have to slow down and process everything and realize the importance of this when you are not looking at the call they made.

Peace
Thanks, JRut. I like that phrase. I've been in the habit of saying, "You'll have some calls tonight, that I won't know what you've called until you give your mechanics. So let's be sure to use complete mechanics, because I'll be working off-ball to the extent that I won't know what you have until you tell me."
And then, when a partner doesn't give the shooter's number, I usually point to the shooter, and ask my partner if he/she is the shooter. I'll be more specific in our pre-game.
Thanks, again.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 10:20am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
In the defense of the newer officials... it took me a few years to make this a consistent habit also.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah not everyone has been refereeing for 5 decades...
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

At the spot, color, # fouler, signal for foul type. Just before I leave, color, # is the shooter.

I realize color of the shooter is redundant but helps me remember who the foul is on.

I know a guy who signals with his hands the number of the shooter along with a verbal before his spot report.

That's confusing to everyone but saying white 21 is the shooter before going to the table clarifies it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yeah not everyone has been refereeing for 5 decades...
I'll take that as a compliment.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Double Whistles

Where I see this messed up the most (basically talking about myself...), is on plays with double whistles on drives to the basket or rebounding fouls where it is possible there were 2 offenders (or its just in the middle of many bodies).

It is usually because of good initial mechanics that it is missed. Both officials post and hold and make eye contact and because it is in the lane with several bodies the numbers escape the 2 officials.

I had this exact scenario in a tough conference game on Saturday night. Fortunately we are able to go to the monitor in our league to ensure we have the number correct, but it still looks silly and is sloppy so I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this as well.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'll take that as a compliment.
I've been working for 30 and there's no chance I'll still be working in 20. Take it how you want to take it.