The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Being sure of getting your offender and shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102036-being-sure-getting-your-offender-shooter.html)

Rob1968 Mon Jan 02, 2017 01:46pm

Being sure of getting your offender and shooter

What mental and or physical method do you use to be sure that you get the correct player:

A) who committed the foul,

B) who was fouled - the shooter?

And how do you communicate that info to your partner or partners?

Thanks

BryanV21 Mon Jan 02, 2017 01:56pm

I look to my partner and point to the shooter while saying the player's number.

"25 is the shooter."

A for the player that committed the foul I have no tricks. Lol, sorry

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

jTheUmp Mon Jan 02, 2017 02:02pm

My routine:

Tweet
Fist in the air
Close-down on the play if necessary (as C or T, rarely if I'm the L)
"White 31, Hold. (make hold signal) 24 is the shooter"
Go to foul reporting area.

BillyMac Mon Jan 02, 2017 02:22pm

So Ended That Experiment ...

After my preliminary signal, "Blue. Twenty-one. Push.", I point to the shooter and state "Shooter". Years ago, I tried stating, and remembering, both numbers, but would often mix up the numbers on the way to the reporting area..

JRutledge Mon Jan 02, 2017 02:48pm

If I am the calling official, I might call out the shooter's number if it is clearly not obvious they are going to be shooting, like a rebounding foul.

If I am the non-calling official I know the foul that was called, I will point out the shooter for a longer time to identify to my other partner that is our shooter.

Peace

Rob1968 Mon Jan 02, 2017 03:53pm

Thanks, guys. I'm doing a lot of games with newer officials, and I'm having a difficult time getting them to consistently get the numbers. I've been thinking that my method might be so personalized that it's hard for them to adopt. But, your comments are very much what I do and what I've been telling them.
Apparently, they just need to practice.

jpgc99 Mon Jan 02, 2017 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 996120)
Thanks, guys. I'm doing a lot of games with newer officials, and I'm having a difficult time getting them to consistently get the numbers. I've been thinking that my method might be so personalized that it's hard for them to adopt. But, your comments are very much what I do and what I've been telling them.

Tell them to slow down. Be patient before going to the table to report.

JRutledge Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15pm

Quote:

Maybe you just ask them who is the shooter? Then they might realize how important that is or get them the habit of knowing. You can also make this a pregame item and tell them, "Make sure we get the shooter's numbers, especially on non-shooting situations." But as anything, they have to slow down and process everything and realize the importance of this when you are not looking at the call they made.

Peace

Rob1968 Tue Jan 03, 2017 02:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 996139)
Maybe you just ask them who is the shooter? Then they might realize how important that is or get them the habit of knowing. You can also make this a pregame item and tell them, "Make sure we get the shooter's numbers, especially on non-shooting situations." But as anything, they have to slow down and process everything and realize the importance of this when you are not looking at the call they made.

Peace

Thanks, JRut. I like that phrase. I've been in the habit of saying, "You'll have some calls tonight, that I won't know what you've called until you give your mechanics. So let's be sure to use complete mechanics, because I'll be working off-ball to the extent that I won't know what you have until you tell me."
And then, when a partner doesn't give the shooter's number, I usually point to the shooter, and ask my partner if he/she is the shooter. I'll be more specific in our pre-game.
Thanks, again.

jTheUmp Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20am

Quote:

In the defense of the newer officials... it took me a few years to make this a consistent habit also.

BigT Tue Jan 03, 2017 02:33pm

Quote:

Yeah not everyone has been refereeing for 5 decades...

Moosie74 Tue Jan 03, 2017 02:41pm

At the spot, color, # fouler, signal for foul type. Just before I leave, color, # is the shooter.

I realize color of the shooter is redundant but helps me remember who the foul is on.

I know a guy who signals with his hands the number of the shooter along with a verbal before his spot report.

That's confusing to everyone but saying white 21 is the shooter before going to the table clarifies it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rob1968 Wed Jan 04, 2017 03:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 996178)
Yeah not everyone has been refereeing for 5 decades...

I'll take that as a compliment.:)

Remington Wed Jan 04, 2017 09:17am

Double Whistles

Where I see this messed up the most (basically talking about myself...), is on plays with double whistles on drives to the basket or rebounding fouls where it is possible there were 2 offenders (or its just in the middle of many bodies).

It is usually because of good initial mechanics that it is missed. Both officials post and hold and make eye contact and because it is in the lane with several bodies the numbers escape the 2 officials.

I had this exact scenario in a tough conference game on Saturday night. Fortunately we are able to go to the monitor in our league to ensure we have the number correct, but it still looks silly and is sloppy so I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this as well.

Rich Wed Jan 04, 2017 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 996240)
I'll take that as a compliment.:)

I've been working for 30 and there's no chance I'll still be working in 20. Take it how you want to take it. :)