The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

End of game timing Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I assume this would really only happen when there are tenths left but they aren't displayed?

Not necessarily. I once had it happen with less than 0.1 remaining (end of quarter situation). The console read 0.03. That said, mathematically this situation occurs ten times less often than it would on a clock that does NOT display tenths.

Best part was it was on a held ball. Team with the arrow got 0.03s for a backcourt throw in, then didn't get the arrow to start the next quarter. Had I been the coach, I would have told my thrower to intentionally commit a throw in violation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sun Jan 01, 2017 at 08:37am.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Had I been the coach, I would have told my thrower to intentionally commit a throw in violation!
What good would that do? The team would still lose the arrow.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 10:55am
High Five Master

Thanks odog. I was mistakenly thinking about this thing. Of course what you said is correct. I'm losing it.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 12:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Not necessarily. I once had it happen with less than 0.1 remaining (end of quarter situation). The console read 0.03. That said, mathematically this situation occurs ten times less often than it would on a clock that does NOT display tenths.

Best part was it was on a held ball. Team with the arrow got 0.03s for a backcourt throw in, then didn't get the arrow to start the next quarter. Had I been the coach, I would have told my thrower to intentionally commit a throw in violation!

You mean you would have put a scrub in the game and had them commit a team control foul before the throw-in ended.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What good would that do? The team would still lose the arrow.

You're right. I outthought myself. Because I was writing before I had my first cup of coffee, I somehow imagined that the subsequent throw-in would also be an AP throw in.

Duh.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You mean you would have put a scrub in the game and had them commit a team control foul before the throw-in ended.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes. What he said.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I once had a game where the a foul or violation was called (OOB?) just as tie was expiring for the quarter. It was so close to the horn that the horn had just started sounding but the stopping of the clock was so quickly after that you barely heard a blip from the horn. I was puzzled for a moment before realizing what happened. I don't remember the exact play, but time had expired and if we were not listening carefully or it had been noisy, we would have never heard the horn.
I was about 13 years old working the "foul board" for a JV Boys contest (the foul board had a separate console from the main scoreboard/clock for some reason). As time was expiring in the 2Q, a held ball is called. The clock reads 0:00 and the only people in the gym who heard the shortest horn in the world were me and the home coach (who was my industrial arts teacher).

He plead his case to the official for a moment that the horn sounded, but the official disagreed. And the home team reluctantly made the AP throw-in and didn't get a shot off.

I was a good table official and kept my mouth shut until Monday morning when I told him that I too heard the horn, but didn't feel it was appropriate to speak up. He thanked me for letting him know he wasn't hearing things and agreed that I was correct in not saying anything at the time.