The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Duke vs Elon - Administration of Dead ball Techincal Foul

In last night's game between Duke and Elon, Grayson Allen was called for a Dead Ball Techincal foul after committing a foul against a dribbler that resulted in a 1-and-1 bonus situation. The lane was cleared for all FTs, and Elon got the ball after the free throws. I believe they shot the bonus first, followed by the TF FTs.

I know that in NFHS, this is correct, that you administer in the order the fouls occurred. But I thought it was different in college. Am I wrong?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Dead ball contact technical foul in the NCAA is administered like NFHS, in order of occurrence with the ball given to the team who shot the Free Throws.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 03:14pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Dead ball contact technical foul in the NCAA is administered like NFHS, in order of occurrence with the ball given to the team who shot the Free Throws.
More specifically the throw-in is at the division line on either side of the court. I always take it opposite unless the coach requests it to be tableside.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Same situation except Elon player fouled in act of shooting and then is deliberately tripped while ball is still in flight or rolling on rim. Is this 2 Personals on same Duke Player?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
In last night's game between Duke and Elon, Grayson Allen was called for a Dead Ball Techincal foul after committing a foul against a dribbler that resulted in a 1-and-1 bonus situation. The lane was cleared for all FTs, and Elon got the ball after the free throws. I believe they shot the bonus first, followed by the TF FTs.

I know that in NFHS, this is correct, that you administer in the order the fouls occurred. But I thought it was different in college. Am I wrong?
Under NCAA-M rules, contact dead ball technical fouls and flagrant 2 technical fouls result in two shots and the throw in at the division line. Thus you'll shoot free throws in the order they occur.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Same situation except Elon player fouled in act of shooting and then is deliberately tripped while ball is still in flight or rolling on rim. Is this 2 Personals on same Duke Player?
Well it was two fouls in this situation. And it would be in your hypothetical.

The first foul caused the ball to become dead. The second foul was during dead ball contact. That is why they shot 4 FTs in this situation.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post

In the case where there is a shot in flight the ball remains live until shot ends. The first foul doesn't cause the ball to become dead. Any and all fouls that occur before the ball is dead are personal fouls. So, yes, you'd have two personal fouls on one player. The 2nd one, if it is similar to this play, would be intentional.

Some might be inclined to call one, and I'd agree if they were both garden variety fouls. But if they are clearly two separate acts and one of them is egregious like this, I have no problem with penalizing both with one of them being intentional or flagrant.