The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
This.

Now, concerning the Captains Meeting: Sportsmanship statement; put the ball in the hole, that's what makes it fun. DONE . . .
Except, my last two partners have been "that guy"! . . . listen to us, POE's, blah, blah, blah . . . And this, after I had told my partners in our dressing room that I don't talk about all of that! In one instance, he went on for over a minute. I kept hoping he'd notice me, looking off into space! If I weren't bald already, I'd pull my hair out!
I had an all timer last week. Dude was chatty in pre-game, lots of words about nothing at all, so I guess I should have seen it coming. Volunteers to be the R. He and the third guy are similar, just small talking about all manner of nonsense as we got dressed.

So we get out there about 20 mins prior. He says let's get the captains at 15 mins, which is fine (girls JV btw). Right at 15:00 he makes eye contact with us and we beckon the captains from each side.

They gather pretty quick as they were stretching, so I'd say we start the conference at about 14:40 or so. I'm not exactly sure, but close enough. Indeed, we start with the infamous 'black line all around', but that's just the beginning of the warmup of the great oratory to follow. It was a classic, play with your feet not your hands, listen to us we'll try to talk you out, the POEs about handchecking from last year (half of these girls probably weren't even playing last year, but whatever) are still in effect. If I had a pre-game bull##% bingo board, I would have cashed out in the first minute.

But wait, there's more. We went into a detailed explanation of the new rule about a violation if you enter the free throw shooter half circle. And not only the R got to chime in, but our other chatty cathy partner had words of wisdom on this too. The nuances of foul if you contact vs violation if you just cross were analyzed and contrasted. The girls were giving it all the attention you'd expect 16 yr old girls to give on a lecture about, say, accounting principles or something.

Other items I learned in this soliloquy were the speaking captain's name (it was Bethany), her number - because of course the R had her raise her warmup shirt to reveal the number, the fact that the R's daughter went to school just nearby their school too - but she didn't play basketball. Also, the blonde mom in the 3rd row had a really cute sweater and great curves - no, wait, that was me as I drifting off into la la land. I'm sure there were other fantastic points made but I found myself surrounded by a fog of words, lazily hanging in the air like smoke from a windless July 4th fireworks display.

We broke this interminable huddle at 11:26 left on the clock. OVER THREE FREAKIN' MINUTES OF THIS!!

Last edited by scrounge; Fri Dec 23, 2016 at 12:11pm.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 01:49am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The ruling from the NFHS on pregame warm-up items was made several years ago. I will have to look if it is in the Case Book or made it into the rules as an editorial change.
Yet another item not listed in the current year rulebook that we are supposed to enforce!
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 12:19pm
NFHS Official

Coaches and captains are required by our state to attend pregame conference

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Dec 25, 2016 at 06:59pm.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 12:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I had an all timer last week. Dude was chatty in pre-game, lots of words about nothing at all, so I guess I should have seen it coming. Volunteers to be the R. He and the third guy are similar, just small talking about all manner of nonsense as we got dressed.

So we get out there about 20 mins prior. He says let's get the captains at 15 mins, which is fine (girls JV btw). Right at 15:00 he makes eye contact with us and we beckon the captains from each side.

They gather pretty quick as they were stretching, so I'd say we start the conference at about 14:40 or so. I'm not exactly sure, but close enough. Indeed, we start with the infamous 'black line all around', but that's just the beginning of the warmup of the great oratory to follow. It was a classic, play with your feet not your hands, listen to us we'll try to talk you out, the POEs about handchecking from last year (half of these girls probably weren't even playing last year, but whatever) are still in effect. If I had a pre-game bull##% bingo board, I would have cashed out in the first minute.

But wait, there's more. We went into a detailed explanation of the new rule about a violation if you enter the free throw shooter half circle. And not only the R got to chime in, but our other chatty cathy partner had words of wisdom on this too. The nuances of foul if you contact vs violation if you just cross were analyzed and contrasted. The girls were giving it all the attention you'd expect 16 yr old girls to give on a lecture about, say, accounting principles or something.

Other items I learned in this soliloquy were the speaking captain's name (it was Bethany), her number - because of course the R had her raise her warmup shirt to reveal the number, the fact that the R's daughter went to school just nearby their school too - but she didn't play basketball. Also, the blonde mom in the 3rd row had a really cute sweater and great curves - no, wait, that was me as I drifting off into la la land. I'm sure there were other fantastic points made but I found myself surrounded by a fog of words, lazily hanging in the air like smoke from a windless July 4th fireworks display.

We broke this interminable huddle at 11:26 left on the clock. OVER THREE FREAKIN' MINUTES OF THIS!!

All that said, I ask to see the jerseys. Then I know for certain that we don't have both teams in white (mainly an issue in neutral site games) and I know what additional color is legal on the visiting team's headbands, etc.

That said, we get captains at 12 and I'm at the table before we reach 11:00.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 12:52pm
AremRed

At a tournament yesterday and a ref was bragging about a game a couple weeks ago where he had the captains meeting, asked who the speaking captain was, asked to see their jersey number under their warmups, and they were not wearing jerseys under their warmups. He told the coach they were not legally equipped and made them stop the warmup and go back to the locker room to put on their jerseys.

Smh.

Last edited by AremRed; Sat Dec 24, 2016 at 01:05pm. Reason: Clarity
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 12:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
At a tournament yesterday and a ref was bragging about a game a couple weeks ago where he had the captains meeting, asked who the speaking captain was, asked to see their jersey number under their warmups, and they were not wearing warmups. He told the coach they were not legally equipped and made them stop the warmup and go back to the locker room to put on their jerseys.

Smh.

Well, that's a new one. Just when I thought I heard em all....
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When's Visiting Day At The Prison ???

Quote:
... the captains meeting, asked who the speaking captain was, asked to see their jersey number under their warmups, and they were not wearing warmups.
Was this a girls tournament?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 01:06pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Was this a girls tournament?
They were not wearing jerseys with numbers under their warmups, to clarify.

That incident happened a couple weeks ago in a game, not sure if boys or girls.

The tournament yesterday was boys.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yet another item not listed in the current year rulebook that we are supposed to enforce!
If they detailed everything about how we are to call the game, the book wouldn't fit in your game bag.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 11:53pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If they detailed everything about how we are to call the game, the book wouldn't fit in your game bag.
Well shit, at least publish some PDF memos or something. The only place I have seen that has past years Rules Interpretations and POE's is the sticky thread in this very forum.

As I have said before, as a new official how can I be expected to know all these past interpretations and POE's if they are not readily available??
Old Sun Dec 25, 2016, 09:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's A Mother To Do ???

Quote:
... as a new official how can I be expected to know all these past interpretations and POE's if they are not readily available??
Amen. A good example is the point of emphasis from a few years ago about elbow fouls above the shoulders; stationery/swinging/excessive swinging; player control/intentional/flagrant. That never made its way into the rulebook.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 25, 2016, 12:21pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Well shit, at least publish some PDF memos or something. The only place I have seen that has past years Rules Interpretations and POE's is the sticky thread in this very forum.

As I have said before, as a new official how can I be expected to know all these past interpretations and POE's if they are not readily available??

Gee, I wonder if we know anyone somewhat close to Indianapolis who could stop by the NFHS offices and lobby for the concept and arrange personally with those in charge in order to make it happen.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2016, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
He and the third guy are similar, just small talking about all manner of nonsense as we got dressed ... (girls JV btw) ...
Three-whistle for JV girls?!
Old Sun Dec 25, 2016, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Three-whistle for JV girls?!
We work 3-whistle for JV Girls -- if one of the officials carries a spare in their pocket.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2016, 03:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We work 3-whistle for JV Girls -- if one of the officials carries a spare in their pocket.

3-whistle for JV games??!! Oh how I envy you.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio