The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 12:52pm
High Five Master

Hahaha. So, what do y'all jokers say at a pregame?
I think it's a waste of time and a completely archaic tradition that we should abolish. But that's just me.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I think it's a waste of time and a completely archaic tradition that we should abolish. But that's just me.
"IHSAA requires us to emphasize sportsmanship tonight. You guys know who your hotheads are, get to them before we do or it will cost your team two shots. Have a good game. Coaches, stay for a second."

"Coaches, all players legally equipped? Okay, first horn ends the timeout, second horn we're ready for play. Have a good game."
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
HS: "We tolerate no foolishness. Sportsmanship. Do not touch the free throw shooters".

College: "We're all adults here, we expect you conduct yourselves as such. If you have a question ask us respectfully. Sportsmanship".
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"Take care of your knuckleheads so we don't have to."
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 06:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

"Hi, I'm Mr. MyLastName and I'll be your referee tonight...."
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 07:31pm
High Five Master

Headphones ???

Richard MyLastName.....you of Swedish descent?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Illegal. If the item cannot be worn during the game, then it cannot be worn during the warm-up time.
This.

Now, concerning the Captains Meeting: Sportsmanship statement; put the ball in the hole, that's what makes it fun. DONE . . .
Except, my last two partners have been "that guy"! . . . listen to us, POE's, blah, blah, blah . . . And this, after I had told my partners in our dressing room that I don't talk about all of that! In one instance, he went on for over a minute. I kept hoping he'd notice me, looking off into space! If I weren't bald already, I'd pull my hair out!
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Standard Captains speech = respect each other, respect us, and respect the game.
Added question if I'm feeling goofy: do you have any freshmen on your team?
After answer of yes: ok, don't let them *#% up the game.
After answer of no: good, then no one will }€|* up this game.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Dec 23, 2016 at 02:20am.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 02:39am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Illegal. If the item cannot be worn during the game, then it cannot be worn during the warm-up time.
Rule reference?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Rule reference?
The ruling from the NFHS on pregame warm-up items was made several years ago. I will have to look if it is in the Case Book or made it into the rules as an editorial change.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
... concerning the Captains Meeting ...
I pulled tis off my hard drive. It's several years old:

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

From the NFHS Rulebook: The referee shall: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team
member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that
all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

Mine: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 23, 2016 at 07:26am.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

In PA, we are required to read a sportsmanship/uniform statement (see Billy Mac's post, #26); I recite it, then, "Any questions? OK, have a good game and have fun."
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 08:20am
High Five Master

Yikes billy. Feel sorry for anyone who has to perform a recital before a game.

Mine: captains take care of your teams and let's be good sports. Put the ball in the hole, it makes it fun for all of us. Good luck.
And before Christmas, I'll say "remember fellas/ladies, Santa Claus is watching. Let's stay on the nice list."
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
This.

Now, concerning the Captains Meeting: Sportsmanship statement; put the ball in the hole, that's what makes it fun. DONE . . .

Except, my last two partners have been "that guy"! . . . listen to us, POE's, blah, blah, blah . . . And this, after I had told my partners in our dressing room that I don't talk about all of that! In one instance, he went on for over a minute. I kept hoping he'd notice me, looking off into space! If I weren't bald already, I'd pull my hair out!

In our games, the umpires don't usually stay for the meeting. Bring our captains, shake the other teams' captains' hands, and go back to our warmup positions.

That way if the R is "That Guy" I don't have to hear it.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In our games, the umpires don't usually stay for the meeting. Bring our captains, shake the other teams' captains' hands, and go back to our warmup positions.

That way if the R is "That Guy" I don't have to hear it.
Oh, don't I wish it were so in our area!