The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Point Direction after Made Basket

Why do D1 officials (the Lead) point in opposite direction (towards opposite end line) after a team makes a basket? Must be a college mechanic, but what does it mean? Thanks.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 08:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

No, it is not a college mechanic. Just something I think officials have been doing based on their experience. There used to be a time where you signaled how many points they team scored. I think that is what some do on some level.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No, it is not a college mechanic. Just something I think officials have been doing based on their experience. There used to be a time where you signaled how many points they team scored. I think that is what some do on some level.

Peace
Yes, there was some mechanic a long time ago where the new trail indicated the shot counted. Some still do it. Old habits are hard to kill.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

I was taught to do it to indicate to the shot clock operator that possession has changed.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I was taught to do it to indicate to the shot clock operator that possession has changed.
Bingo. Me too. I do it in high school as well because it's habit now. Yes, I know that is wrong.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Not criticizing you for doing it, but what was the logic behind needing to signal the shot clock operator that possession had changed? The only thing I can think of is that the mechanic was intended to signal the shot clock operator to start the clock.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to only see it after a play at the basket with some contact, but no foul. They point as a way to say "yes I saw the contact, no it's not a foul"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isn't that sort of obvious on a made basket?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Isn't that sort of obvious on a made basket?
Should be, but some shot clock operators need the extra signal to help them remember to click the reset button following the throw-in.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should be, but some shot clock operators need the extra signal to help them remember to click the reset button following the throw-in.
I agree, and I sometimes find myself using this same mechanic.

However, the bigger problem I have with shot clock operators is when they reset the shot clock when they shouldn't. For example, a momentary loss of player control, but Team B never gains control. When a Team A player regains control, I hate looking back up at the clock and seeing they have reset it.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I agree, and I sometimes find myself using this same mechanic.

However, the bigger problem I have with shot clock operators is when they reset the shot clock when they shouldn't. For example, a momentary loss of player control, but Team B never gains control. When a Team A player regains control, I hate looking back up at the clock and seeing they have reset it.
That type of play is when such a signal (but don't we already have one? The "finger swirl?") might come in handy -- tell the shot-clock operator not to reset during scrambles until he sees us signal. But I've never had a shot clock operator not know to start it after a basket. Sure, they sometimes forget, but having a signal everytime isn't going to help that.

Do they still teach this? NCAAM or NCAAW or both? It's never come up in any of the camps I've been to.

We do start it in the last minute of the game, of course -- and maybe some just carry that throughout.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Just recently go a memo from an assignor telling us to NOT do this mechanic.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That type of play is when such a signal (but don't we already have one? The "finger swirl?") might come in handy -- tell the shot-clock operator not to reset during scrambles until he sees us signal. But I've never had a shot clock operator not know to start it after a basket. Sure, they sometimes forget, but having a signal everytime isn't going to help that.

Do they still teach this? NCAAM or NCAAW or both? It's never come up in any of the camps I've been to.

We do start it in the last minute of the game, of course -- and maybe some just carry that throughout.
Yes, I do use the finger swirl signal. But it doesn't help if they reset it too early.

I tell them I'd rather them be late and wait to see us give the swirl signal than to reset it too early, but that doesn't stop the problem from happening...
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That type of play is when such a signal (but don't we already have one? The "finger swirl?") might come in handy
In NCAAM the "finger swirl" during a live ball is an indicator to the bookkeeper to note the time so we can review during the next media TO whether we had a made two or three point shot...
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
In NCAAM the "finger swirl" during a live ball is an indicator to the bookkeeper to note the time so we can review during the next media TO whether we had a made two or three point shot...
That's the "horizontal swirl" (I think). I was speaking of the "vertical swirl."