The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Point Direction after Made Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101990-point-direction-after-made-basket.html)

spret93 Tue Dec 20, 2016 08:57pm

Point Direction after Made Basket

Why do D1 officials (the Lead) point in opposite direction (towards opposite end line) after a team makes a basket? Must be a college mechanic, but what does it mean? Thanks.

JRutledge Tue Dec 20, 2016 08:59pm

No, it is not a college mechanic. Just something I think officials have been doing based on their experience. There used to be a time where you signaled how many points they team scored. I think that is what some do on some level.

Peace

Camron Rust Wed Dec 21, 2016 02:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 995391)
No, it is not a college mechanic. Just something I think officials have been doing based on their experience. There used to be a time where you signaled how many points they team scored. I think that is what some do on some level.

Peace

Yes, there was some mechanic a long time ago where the new trail indicated the shot counted. Some still do it. Old habits are hard to kill.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 21, 2016 02:53am

I was taught to do it to indicate to the shot clock operator that possession has changed.

TriggerMN Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 995430)
I was taught to do it to indicate to the shot clock operator that possession has changed.

Bingo. Me too. I do it in high school as well because it's habit now. Yes, I know that is wrong. :cool:

BoomerSooner Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56am

Quote:

Not criticizing you for doing it, but what was the logic behind needing to signal the shot clock operator that possession had changed? The only thing I can think of is that the mechanic was intended to signal the shot clock operator to start the clock.

bas2456 Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:39pm

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to only see it after a play at the basket with some contact, but no foul. They point as a way to say "yes I saw the contact, no it's not a foul"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Wed Dec 21, 2016 03:38pm

Quote:

Isn't that sort of obvious on a made basket?

Nevadaref Wed Dec 21, 2016 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 995494)
Isn't that sort of obvious on a made basket?

Should be, but some shot clock operators need the extra signal to help them remember to click the reset button following the throw-in.

jpgc99 Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 995501)
Should be, but some shot clock operators need the extra signal to help them remember to click the reset button following the throw-in.

I agree, and I sometimes find myself using this same mechanic.

However, the bigger problem I have with shot clock operators is when they reset the shot clock when they shouldn't. For example, a momentary loss of player control, but Team B never gains control. When a Team A player regains control, I hate looking back up at the clock and seeing they have reset it.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 22, 2016 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 995516)
I agree, and I sometimes find myself using this same mechanic.

However, the bigger problem I have with shot clock operators is when they reset the shot clock when they shouldn't. For example, a momentary loss of player control, but Team B never gains control. When a Team A player regains control, I hate looking back up at the clock and seeing they have reset it.

That type of play is when such a signal (but don't we already have one? The "finger swirl?") might come in handy -- tell the shot-clock operator not to reset during scrambles until he sees us signal. But I've never had a shot clock operator not know to start it after a basket. Sure, they sometimes forget, but having a signal everytime isn't going to help that.

Do they still teach this? NCAAM or NCAAW or both? It's never come up in any of the camps I've been to.

We do start it in the last minute of the game, of course -- and maybe some just carry that throughout.

APG Thu Dec 22, 2016 09:54am

Just recently go a memo from an assignor telling us to NOT do this mechanic.

jpgc99 Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 995529)
That type of play is when such a signal (but don't we already have one? The "finger swirl?") might come in handy -- tell the shot-clock operator not to reset during scrambles until he sees us signal. But I've never had a shot clock operator not know to start it after a basket. Sure, they sometimes forget, but having a signal everytime isn't going to help that.

Do they still teach this? NCAAM or NCAAW or both? It's never come up in any of the camps I've been to.

We do start it in the last minute of the game, of course -- and maybe some just carry that throughout.

Yes, I do use the finger swirl signal. But it doesn't help if they reset it too early.

I tell them I'd rather them be late and wait to see us give the swirl signal than to reset it too early, but that doesn't stop the problem from happening...

rockchalk jhawk Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 995529)
That type of play is when such a signal (but don't we already have one? The "finger swirl?") might come in handy

In NCAAM the "finger swirl" during a live ball is an indicator to the bookkeeper to note the time so we can review during the next media TO whether we had a made two or three point shot...

bob jenkins Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 995539)
In NCAAM the "finger swirl" during a live ball is an indicator to the bookkeeper to note the time so we can review during the next media TO whether we had a made two or three point shot...

That's the "horizontal swirl" (I think). I was speaking of the "vertical swirl."