The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not an airborne shooter?

Interesting call in the UVA-Robert Morris game today.
RM player launches a 3 point try (which missed), defender jumps to try to block, shooter lands on his feet, and defender lands with one foot on shooters forward foot, causing shooter to fall backward. No contact until after the shooter landed. Foul called, and awarded three shots.
Don't know details of NCAA-M rules, but in NFHS, doesn't the shot end when the shooter lands? Thus a foul after the shot is over would be a common (not shooting foul). Am I misguided, or is the NCAA rule different???

If someone can post a video, it was at about 8:30 in the second half, on ESPN-U.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
RM player launches a 3 point try (which missed), defender jumps to try to block, shooter lands on his feet, and defender lands with one foot on shooters forward foot, causing shooter to fall backward. No contact until after the shooter landed. Foul called, and awarded three shots.
Don't know details of NCAA-M rules, but in NFHS, doesn't the shot end when the shooter lands? Thus a foul after the shot is over would be a common (not shooting foul). Am I misguided, or is the NCAA rule different???

If someone can post a video, it was at about 8:30 in the second half, on ESPN-U.
The reality is that sometimes the contact is so close that the expectation could be to go with a shooting foul. I had a game recently with 2 fouls AFTER the shot, that both went to the bonus.

Sometimes you get caught off guard and go with a shooting foul.

The NCAA rule is the same.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

We got into a similar situation though less dynamic in a varsity girls game the other night. Team B was "boxing out" shooters hard. Had 3-4 fouls before it stopped. Big displacement vs unprotected players. Never got to an intentional or unsportsmanlike level but needed to be cleaned up.

Coach B got vocal with us when one was called a shooting foul. Her claim was that Player A was a set shooter so since she wasn't airborne once she's released the ball her act of shooting is done so a box out can't be a shooting foul. My partner said he felt like she was in the act when she got hit.

Does create that interesting grey area jump or no jump in the time before the shooter is on balance and ready/expecting contact.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

By rule, you are correct, under all codes.

By general interp, / the way it's called , you are incorrect.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
By rule, you are correct, under all codes.

By general interp, / the way it's called , you are incorrect.
Is it a correct understanding, that in NCAA, two feet down ends the "airborne shooter" status, but that NFHS requires only one foot down, to end the "airborne shooter" status?

I seem to recall a thread a few years ago that stated the above criteria.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Is it a correct understanding, that in NCAA, two feet down ends the "airborne shooter" status, but that NFHS requires only one foot down, to end the "airborne shooter" status?

I seem to recall a thread a few years ago that stated the above criteria.
Rob, I don't see the NCAAM videos. I know the NCAAm rule says player is airborne shooter until he "returns to floor." When one foot is down he has returned under ball location rules. I've never heard a discussion saying two feet is required to be considered "returned to floor."

Now I will error on the side of giving FTs.

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Dec 18, 2016 at 12:23am.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Rob, I don't see the NCAAM videos. I know the NCAAm rule says player is airborne shooter until he "returns to floor." When one foot is down he has returned under ball location rules. I've never heard a discussion saying two feet is required to be considered "returned to floor."

Now I will error on the side of giving FTs.
Thanks, BigCat.
I just found an NFHS Case Book 2015-2016 statement:
4.1.1 ... "A1 is an airborne shooter when the ball is released until one foot returns to the floor. An airborne shooter is in the act of shooting."

I don't currently have a reference for the NCAA definition of "return to the floor." But I seem to recall discussions with colleagues, in past years, that indicate that both feet must have touched the floor, to end the "airborne shooter/in the act of shooting status." (It's not a subject that gets a lot of attention, either here or in camps.)
Maybe you or another of the Forum members that's currently doing NCAA ball can find a reference. I'll ask some of my NCAA friends if they can find a reference.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 09:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I had a D3 game yesterday. Smallish 3pt shooter returns to floor. Big man continues walking into A1 and knocks him down. I blow my whistle, announce "after he returned to the floor", and award 1-and-1.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I had a D3 game yesterday. Smallish 3pt shooter returns to floor. Big man continues walking into A1 and knocks him down. I blow my whistle, announce "after he returned to the floor", and award 1-and-1.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yes, if it is 50/50 or very close (hair splitting) i will give the FTs. but if I'm sure he had a foot down before contact, bonus or ball out of bounds.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

On The Floor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I blow my whistle, announce "after he returned to the floor" ...
Very good. We've got some guys (veterans and rookies) that say, "On the floor", for all situations in which a shooter will not be shooting free throws for in the act of shooting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 18, 2016 at 11:39am.