The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Question Rule 7-6 Question

Can someone please explain the following rule and in what situation would it be beneficial to have my players ask for this space?

ART.5... Teammates shall no occupy adjacent positions which are parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.

Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

What it does is prevents the throw-in team from forming a wall where the defending team cannot defend the throw-in.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadPole32 View Post
Can someone please explain the following rule and in what situation would it be beneficial to have my players ask for this space?

ART.5... Teammates shall no occupy adjacent positions which are parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.

Thanks!
You will never use this rule. If three teammates were lined up Side by side by side (that is parallel.) and within 3 feet of the endline an opponent must be let in. I have never seen it used as a player, coach or referee.

I have seen many people think that if their opponents are stacked in a line they have to be allowed in the stack between players. That is not true. Those players are lined up PERPENDICULAR to the end line. If they get there first the spots are theirs and I will not let opponents in or fight their way in.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Never say never...i have seen this mythical unicorn.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to imagine that this rule harkens to a time long ago when defenses were more primitive and defending the throw-in was a huge deal. What say you, MTD, Sr.?

I rarely see defenses line up parallel to the line like this, and even if they did, I doubt any player would ever know that there's a rule that allows them to ask for a space. Same thing with respect to defensive match-ups when three or more opponents are beckoned into the game.

Count me in as one who has never observed either request made in a game (nine years in now).
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Also the defense of the throw-in has the right to stand next to the thrower as well. That rule kind of addresses that as well. It is the only time they have a right a specific space on the floor if they did not get there first.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also the defense of the throw-in has the right to stand next to the thrower as well. That rule kind of addresses that as well. It is the only time they have a right a specific space on the floor if they did not get there first.

Peace
Reference, please.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference, please.
Yeah, I'm thinking that one is MSU.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadPole32 View Post

Thanks!

Many years ago players would stand parallel the end line and pass or hand the the ball between players while holding the ball out of bounds to run clock.
This rule prevents this nonsense as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I would have to imagine that this rule harkens to a time long ago when defenses were more primitive and defending the throw-in was a huge deal. What say you, MTD, Sr.?

I rarely see defenses line up parallel to the line like this, and even if they did, I doubt any player would ever know that there's a rule that allows them to ask for a space. Same thing with respect to defensive match-ups when three or more opponents are beckoned into the game.

Count me in as one who has never observed either request made in a game (nine years in now).
I believe this rule may have come in to play when there were non-standard courts. The basket could be very close to the end line and on a throw in under their own basket. a team could set up a play where a player would catch the ball surrounded by his teammates for an easy layup.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 08:49am
This IS My Social Life

Different Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
Many years ago players would stand parallel the end line and pass or hand the the ball between players while holding the ball out of bounds to run clock. This rule prevents this nonsense as well!
No, the rule that permits a Closely Guarded effort to thwart such practice is 9-10-1b and 9.10.1D. Right?

And it's not really "nonsense" if it works and isn't illegal. I can't believe I just said that.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Correct.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Patiently Waiting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also the defense of the throw-in has the right to stand next to the thrower as well ... It is the only time they have a right a specific space on the floor if they did not get there first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference, please.
I, also, am still waiting for a rule reference from anybody, not just JRutledge.

Is this how basketball rule myths start?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I, also, am still waiting for a rule reference from anybody, not just JRutledge.

Is this how basketball rule myths start?
There isn't one so don't hold your breath. It will never come nor will a retraction.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 12:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule Or Casebook Play???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
There isn't one so don't hold your breath. It will never come nor will a retraction.
It should be easy to find a simple reference to a simple statement like "the defense of the throw-in has the right to stand next to the thrower ... It is the only time they have a right a specific space on the floor if they did not get there first".

We shouldn't have to wait too long. Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 04, 2017 at 06:31pm.