The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Condescending Coach

How do you handle a coach who uses the following verbage after something doesnt go their way.

Its ok little Johnny, the ref missed that one. keep playing hard, he wont miss the next foul.

Good defense Johnny, clearly you were set.

That was good D little Johnny, keep it up (as Im reporting).

the list could go on and on....
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

does your stance change if coach is doing the talking, staring at you while you are reporting?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
How do you handle a coach who uses the following verbage after something doesnt go their way.

Its ok little Johnny, the ref missed that one. keep playing hard, he wont miss the next foul.

When little Johnny plays crappy defense again the next time down the court, and commits another foul, I make sure and call that one on Johnny too, hoping that the coach gets the hint that I'm not changing my calls to appease him, but that he needs to coach his players how to play proper defense.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:11pm
Administrator

Quote:

If the HC is saying this loud enough for the officials to hear him then he really using a passive-aggressive tactic to complain to the officials. At an appropriate time, in a professional manner I would remind the HC that one of his job is to instill good sportsmanship in his players and that he needs to do that by leading by example.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Individual comments like that I ignore. But if it becomes a pattern or repeated, then it can become a problem for the coach.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I keep calling fouls on Johnny.

If the coach wants to be horrible at his job that's up to him.

If he's yelling and being obnoxious and keeps saying we're missing calls maybe I'll grace him with a short comment. Honestly this is just noise I'm ignoring almost every time.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I will usually ignore it unless I've had enough then I will say something like "you're doing him a disservice teaching him to expect us to make an adjustment."

Not all officials would be comfortable saying something like this, but I like to get to the point. 9/10 times I'm not saying anything. Coach wants to be a piss poor teacher of the game, that's not really my problem.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Keep calling the foul if I feel it is a good foul call. He/she will either learn how consistent we are going to be on that play or they will adjust.

You could say something, but actions speak louder than words. Eventually they will realize that what they say is not going to change anything and either sub appropriately or adjust to what you are calling. Comments might only exacerbate the issue. But if you are of a certain stature that might be OK to use words in response. Just be aware there is a fall out when you comment on some of these.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

"Coach - let's trade places. You come out here and call the game, and I'll sit on the bench and act like an ***hole."
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Look up the meaning of "condescending" and "sarcastic." I think you will find "sarcastic" is more accurate of the coach's attitude. The coach is mocking you pure and simple and showing contempt for your calls. What I have found most effective is to address the coach very soon, like after the second or third comment and ask him nicely, "You're not going to keep this up all game, right?" Most likely he/she will not answer but the message will be received and the comments will stop. If not, take care of it. Officials do not need to put up with this type of sarcastic immaturity for more than a brief period.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Look up the meaning of "condescending" and "sarcastic." I think you will find "sarcastic" is more accurate of the coach's attitude. The coach is mocking you pure and simple and showing contempt for your calls. What I have found most effective is to address the coach very soon, like after the second or third comment and ask him nicely, "You're not going to keep this up all game, right?" Most likely he/she will not answer but the message will be received and the comments will stop. If not, take care of it. Officials do not need to put up with this type of sarcastic immaturity for more than a brief period.
Translation: WHACK!!
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I am not sure I totally agree with this because the coach in this case is clearly trying to act like he has superior knowledge of what took place. So there is sarcasm in the comments, but they are condescending to act like he knows better of the call. Either way, I would not change what I do because a coach is mad about a call. I just will make sure I do not miss any other similar calls throughout the game no matter who they are on. I guess it is about perspective.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 02:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

At the very least, the coach has advised you that he has no desire to work with you. I'm able to tune that out, but that is going to mean I won't hear any of his questions.

I like the question billy posed, but you'll need to be prepared to respond or ignore his feigned ignorance. You have some options to approach the coach without threatening a T. Personally, I'll let that crap slide now and then, but the coach gets no leash and if his players start to get out of line I'm not going to work with him (he's already indicated through his actions that he doesn't want to work with me on sportsmanship).

If it's on virtually every call or non-call that doesn't go his way, I'm shutting it down. "Coach, this passive aggressive commentary needs to stop now."
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I have T'd coaches for comments they have made to players, but were obviously meant for the officials.

I had one coach years ago who had been chirping most of the game despite being comfortably ahead. I made a call against one of his star players in the 4th quarter and as she came to the bench he loudly asked her if she had committed the foul. I popped him with a T for that.

From that game on I never had a problem with that coach again. I no longer work games in his conference, but I see him around and he always gives me a genuine greeting and conversation.

Sometimes coaches are testing the bounds. If it is something that is persistent I address it with something like "Coach, I am not going to tolerate those comments". If they reply with the standard "talking to my player" response, I tell them they need to ensure I am not in earshot.

I have even less tolerance for players who do this.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 06, 2016 at 02:16pm.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

"You can do that 4 more times, Johnny."