View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
How do you handle a coach who uses the following verbage after something doesnt go their way.

Its ok little Johnny, the ref missed that one. keep playing hard, he wont miss the next foul.

Good defense Johnny, clearly you were set.

That was good D little Johnny, keep it up (as Im reporting).

the list could go on and on....
I have T'd coaches for comments they have made to players, but were obviously meant for the officials.

I had one coach years ago who had been chirping most of the game despite being comfortably ahead. I made a call against one of his star players in the 4th quarter and as she came to the bench he loudly asked her if she had committed the foul. I popped him with a T for that.

From that game on I never had a problem with that coach again. I no longer work games in his conference, but I see him around and he always gives me a genuine greeting and conversation.

Sometimes coaches are testing the bounds. If it is something that is persistent I address it with something like "Coach, I am not going to tolerate those comments". If they reply with the standard "talking to my player" response, I tell them they need to ensure I am not in earshot.

I have even less tolerance for players who do this.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 06, 2016 at 02:16pm.