The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 10:50am
High Five Master

Referee mag question

Having trouble with this in my head. Somebody help me out:

When is the resumption of play procedure not in effect?
A-following a timeout
B-following the intermission between periods
C-following halftime
D-following a foul

Says answer is C per rule 4-38. Aren't B and C basically same situations? And why isn't procedure used? Thanks in advance
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

The correct HS answer is "D".

In NCAAW, both "C" and "D" are correct.

IN NCAAM, "B" does not apply, and "C" and "D" are correct.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 11:28am
High Five Master

Sorry, forgot to mention was concerned with NFHS. Thanks bob! So the magazine got the answer wrong, that makes a lot more sense now! I'm sure it's just a misprint of the correct answer.

Just for giggles, why isn't ROP used after halftime in college?
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Having trouble with this in my head. Somebody help me out:

When is the resumption of play procedure not in effect?
A-following a timeout
B-following the intermission between periods
C-following halftime
D-following a foul

Says answer is C per rule 4-38. Aren't B and C basically same situations? And why isn't procedure used? Thanks in advance
I think I'm going to go with C being correct for NFHS. The resumption of play rule in rule 4 says it is used when a team doesn't make a player available for a throwin or after a timeout or intermission. I think it is used after a foul if a team doesn't make a thrower available.

Rule 10 also says it is a team T for delaying the game by more than a minute in either half. This applies when a team isn't on the court to start the second half. If they are on the court the resumption of play procedure is used. It could be written much better obviously but i think we use the resumption of play in all those situations unless a team isn't on the court at end of halftime. It's a T then.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Nov 08, 2016 at 12:06pm.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

in NFHS you absolutely use it after a foul. You can even place the ball on the floor at the free throw line if the delay to resume is by the team entitled to shoot free throws. See 8-1-2

Last edited by Scuba_ref; Tue Nov 08, 2016 at 12:15pm.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I think I'm going to go with C being correct for NFHS. The resumption of play rule in rule 4 says it is used when a team doesn't make a player available for a throwin or after a timeout or intermission. I think it is used after a foul if a team doesn't make a thrower available.

Rule 10 also says it is a team T for delaying the game by more than a minute in either half. This applies when a team isn't on the court to start the second half. If they are on the court the resumption of play procedure is used. It could be written much better obviously but i think we use the resumption of play in all those situations unless a team isn't on the court at end of halftime. It's a T then.
If there's a foul and NO timeout, then it's an immediate T if the shooting team doesn't have the shooter ready, or the "defensive" team doesn't have two players in the lower spaces. This is NOT resumption of play. See 10.4.5

To start the half -- if the team is still in the locker room, count for a minute and then issue a T. If the team is at the bench, but doesn't come on the court, use ROP.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If there's a foul and NO timeout, then it's an immediate T if the shooting team doesn't have the shooter ready, or the "defensive" team doesn't have two players in the lower spaces. This is NOT resumption of play. See 10.4.5

To start the half -- if the team is still in the locker room, count for a minute and then issue a T. If the team is at the bench, but doesn't come on the court, use ROP.
Im thinking foul and throwin. NO FTs. I said thrower but meant thrower inner…(the rule uses the term thrower for player making the throw in.)

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Nov 08, 2016 at 02:28pm.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Im thinking foul and throwin. NO FTs. I said thrower but meant thrower inner...

While you do put the ball on the floor, this is NOT the ROP procedure.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-38 is entitled "Resumption of play procedure" and says in part "It is used when a throw in team DOESNT make a thrower available OR following a timeout or intermission."

When we go to rule 7 it simply says it's used between intermission or after timeout. That doesn't match the definition. I would submit that Rule 7 should mirror rule 4-38. If I call travel on A ball is dead. If B doesn't come to the throw in spot I put it on floor and start counting(live ball) . That is resuming play. It's just bad question.

Probably a bigger point here is avoid using the ROP by being vocal etc. Get them out of the huddle or a player to the throw in spot.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Nov 08, 2016 at 02:05pm.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Team or player control

A bigger question for me: By placing the ball on the floor for resumption of play, is it now player control or team control?
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
in NFHS you absolutely use it after a foul. You can even place the ball on the floor at the free throw line if the delay to resume is by the team entitled to shoot free throws. See 8-1-2
Not unless there's a timeout involved.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
A bigger question for me: By placing the ball on the floor for resumption of play, is it now player control or team control?
If you read 4-Control, you'll find words the the effect of:

Player Control exists when a player is holding or dribbling the ball.

Team Control starts when .... the ball is at the disposal of the team.

So, in the instance being discussed, there is no PC, but there is TC.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe it is. It fits the definition precisely.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Am I wrong?

This post has cause a running discussion with a friend of mine where we questioned did placing the ball on the floor create player control or team control? We have been back and forth on this. But, it created another question in my mind on a practice I've done for years. For years I have always placed a ball on the floor in situations not resumption in nature (not following a TO or intermission). For example, I can't get Team A to come get the ball after a normal violation call on Team B, such as traveling. No matter what I did, I couldn't get a player over there. After some point, I placed the ball on the floor and began counting. Is this wrong?
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
This post has cause a running discussion with a friend of mine where we questioned did placing the ball on the floor create player control or team control? We have been back and forth on this. But, it created another question in my mind on a practice I've done for years. For years I have always placed a ball on the floor in situations not resumption in nature (not following a TO or intermission). For example, I can't get Team A to come get the ball after a normal violation call on Team B, such as traveling. No matter what I did, I couldn't get a player over there. After some point, I placed the ball on the floor and began counting. Is this wrong?
1) Yes -- there is TC -- it's right from the definitions. There is not PC -- also right from the definitions.

2) You are right to put the ball on the floor. There's a case in 9.2 (I think) that has this happen